We love Before and Afters on Apartment Therapy (and I know you do too) but this one has an added twist. We get to go from the "before" to a computer generated mockup of the homeowners dream kitchen and then on to the amazingly well exectued, just-as-planned "after". It's a really interesting way to plot the journey and we have the whole scoop on how this kitchen reno dream became a reality …
Here is Adrianne's dream kitchen, which she worked out online using a computer generated mockup done with Lowe's Room Planner.
And, finally, the amazingly well executed "after"!
The Scope of the Project:
From demo day to everything finished (minus the laundry room..work in progress) it was 1 1/2 months.
• Removed all the flooring and countertops (ourselves)
• Demo the existing breakfast bar and laundry room
• Relocate the rear entry door
• Build a new laundry room dividing wall
• Run water, gas, and electricity to the laundry room
• Run electricty and gas to the new island
• Run new electrical in kitchen and pantry
• Install brick wall using thin brick veneers
• Level floors
• Install hardwood throughout
• Install cabinets (based around the farmhouse sink)
• Install countertops
• Install baseboard, crown, and trim
• Install appliances
• Paint three times because for the life of us we couldn't decide on a color
• Add wainscoting
We had hoped to use the current cabinets that we had, and just add new ones as needed, but they didnt match, so we unfortunately had to replace them all. We had the wood floors (from Lumber Liquidators), most of the appliances and hardware for cabinets. Those were really the only things we had previously. Here is a list of things we had to purchase:
• Farmhouse sink from Home Depot
• Granite countertops
• Cabinets (from Home Depot
• Oven/micro wall unit from Craigslist
• Brick from Marvel Buliding & Masonry Supply
• Faucet from Home Depot
• Backsplash from Lowes
• Chandelier (moved the old one to the new laundry room) from Overstock
and a whole bunch of construction materials!
Check out the post on Adrianne's blog for more photos and info: Kitchen Makeover Part 482, The End | Dream Book Design
Images: Melissa Young Photo and Adrianne Lentine via Dream Book Design