Before & After: Liz Rescues an Abandoned Dresser

Imagine it: you're walking along one day when you come across a sad old dresser, all beat up and covered with stickers, sitting on the curbside. Many of us would see nothing more than an old relic awaiting its trip to the garbage heap. Liz saw a dresser with good bones that needed to be rescued from its dismal fate.

Pin it button big

I was photographing Liz's coach house for a future house tour when she pointed at the dresser and casually mentioned that she had rehabbed it after finding it in the garbage. Oh, I said, you must send me the before photos! Little did I know just how much rehabbing she had done! I'll let Liz tell the story:

"Spotted on the curbside in my old neighborhood. I saw potential in this wooden beauty. Beneath it's animal stickers, low profile, and handle-less drawers, I knew I had found my newest bedroom addition. To begin the transformation, I sanded all the drawers and body of old paint and stickers. Before I started painting I wiped all the pieces separately with tack cloth (very important step) to remove all the dust particles left over from sanding. I painted 3 coats of oil based paint and in between each coat wiped everything down again with tack cloth. To finish it off I applied 2 coats of semi gloss polyurethane for added protection. As an final step I took a medium grain sand paper and distressed the edges and corners to get that worn in finish. In addition to the finishing I added handles and knobs found at Home Depot and scoured ebay to find the legs I wanted to add more height. This entire DIY took lots of patience and about 2 months of weekends working out of my parents garage."

Eagle eyed readers will also notice that Liz changed out the legs on the dresser, going from a simple straight legs to something with a sexier shape that she found on ebay.

Images: Elizabeth Villacorta

39 Comments