Before & After: New Upholstery for a Chippendale Chair

We've had this Chinese Chippendale style chair for years, but for the last few it's been relegated to our downstairs storage space due to the sad shape of the upholstery. It was a favorite spot for our pug, who gave the upholstery a hard time zipping up and down from it. Now that we're in our new place (and have a small dog who doesn't jump that high), the time had come to track down some new fabric and get the job done.

Pin it button big

I loved the black and white plaid, and knew that I wanted to stay with a black based pattern but after scouring the home decor fabric aisles at Jo-Ann yesterday morning, I was about to give up — and get ready to pay up — for some special order fabric. I then spotted a sale table, and on it found this black and beige design that I found intriguing.

It is pattern based on an print originally from Colonial Williamsburg with an almost batik-like print finish. The fabric is a really nice weight and I like the somewhat rough presentation of such traditional imagery - classic birds and flowers. And best of all, a yard came to just over $7 - a bargain.

Pin it button big

About a hour later, thanks to the trusty staple gun, we had a "new" chair. To save time (and give it a bit of an unexpected twist) we removed and then reattached the original plaid piping, which made the job super fast and gives it a little edge of funkiness.

7 dollars, 60 minutes, voila!

You Might Also Like

Around the Web

Categories

DIY, Painting

Janel Laban is the Executive Editor of Apartment Therapy and has been working here, at the dreamiest of dream jobs, since March 2006.