Before & After: A Dixie Dresser Gets a Dramatic Upgrade

Pin it button big

Angela says, "Sometimes you should just walk away from a craigslist sale," but she must be a glutton for punishment because she still brought home this dilapidated Dixie dresser for just $40. It had chipping veneer, major leg damage and sagging in the center, so we were shocked to see this baby looking so lovely.

Pin it button big

From Angela:

The metal gripper that holds the legs in place was missing on one leg. My husband cut a piece of wood to fit the missing one and was able to fashion it back together to give it some strength. Our main leg problem was that this is such a large dresser and the middle support was missing. And, the dresser was showing signs of sagging. Seriously upsetting. So, I did a quick Internet search and found replacement legs. We put two legs as a center support so that the dresser will easily withstand the weight of the drawer contents and the future TV we plan to put on top.

Once the structural problems were dealt with we were feeling so much better about this entire project. Since the drawers and (the majority) of the base were in good shape, I decided to stain them with General Finishes Antique Walnut Gel Stain. The top and body of the dresser (where the significant veneer & corner damage was) got a couple of coats of Antique White paint. I finished the entire piece with poly for added protection. Finally, these ceramic bamboo pulls seriously won my heart. I. Am. In. Love.

See more at Number Fifty-Three.

Thank you Angela!

(Image credits: Angela Santaniello)

29 Comments