In the hunt for the perfect apartment—one that's located where you want and doesn't cost an arm and a leg—you sometimes have to make sacrifices. For Kimberly's search in Philadelphia, she was willing to settle for a small "kitchen" since she doesn't cook often. But she wasn't going to settle on it being boring and beige. Her quick, contemporary makeover of the kitchenette in her new living room is totally cute and affordable—and we've got the resources you can buy to use these ideas in your own small kitchen!
Get the look!
- Kitchen Cart — IKEA, $199
- Backsplash — Wayfair, $35
- Rug — Target, $19.99
- Owl cookie jar — Target, $19.99
- Marble and wood board — Target, $19.99
- Storage boxes — Similar: IKEA, $3.99
- Wooden tray — Similar: Bed, Bath and Beyond, $29.99
- Tea kettle — Similar: Overstock, $21.89
- Wooden bowl — Target, 14.99
The paint Kimberly used on the cabinets is Sherwin-Williams Interior Quali-Kote in Extra White:
"This is a commercial grade paint that needs to be asked for "behind the counter." I stole this from my apartment basement, as they use this to repaint apartments when a tenant moves out. The high-quality commercial grade did not smell and sat well on top of cabinets I did not sand or prime due to laziness."
(For those without access to a free stash, try Sherwin-Williams' SuperPaint® Interior Acrylic Latex Paint, $36.74/gallon)
More terrific kitchen transformations:
Thank you Kimberly!