Even though he'd already gotten plenty of use out of this dilapidated dresser (he's had it since high school), Chris knew this baby had some life left. He says, "it was just asking to be redone."
It's a pretty heavy dresser so getting it out of the house was its own project. I bought some paint stripper, a scraper, sand paper and some Golden Oak wood stain. It was surprisingly easy to strip and I was amazed at the quality of the wood. I cannot believe it was painted all those years ago. After it was all sanded and stained, I began building the door. I went to my local hardware store and purchased a few pieces of wood, some screws and the hinges. I cut the wood with my Dad's jigsaw to be the right measurements. I built the door fairly quickly, installed it, and gave it all a good final few touches with sand paper and some stain. I wanted it to have a rustic, barn look to it and thought the black hinges were a perfect touch.
Overall, I spent close to $50 on this transformation. The wood for the door, and the drawer pulls being the most expensive. I'm very happy with the result and excited to give this childhood dresser that has seen so much of my life a new life for itself.
Thank you Chris!