Our goal was to find a piece of furniture to add storage under our TV to house our entertainment electronics, cords and other odds and ends that didn't yet have a home. Unfortunately we didn't take pictures of the process, but I can certainly describe what we did.We started by removing the original handles and patching the holes left behind on the six bottom drawers with slices of dowels and a bit of wood glue. Next we gave the piece a quick sanding and three fresh coats of navy blue paint. We purchased and attached two sets of new handles and pulls.
We converted the top two drawers into shelves with false-fronts by resting fitted pieces of masonite (had them cut at Home Depot) on the wood rails/drawer supports. The only tricky part of the project was attaching the false drawer fronts with hinges and magnetic latches, which required some trial and error (and patience!) to get them to match up correctly with the body of the dresser. We also had trouble finding hinge screws that were short enough to not pierce the front of the drawer face (note the shims between the screw heads and back of the drawer face). Luckily, they are hidden away and no one will notice. We easily completed the project over the course of one weekend and were quite pleased with the outcome!
(Images: Jenny Nelson)