hotel can be a real challenge. Hotels often lack the ergonomics and comfort found in a real office or at home. Below are a few things we have done to increase our comfort and ensure productivity while away from home.
- Internet: Having internet at your hotel might seem to be a given, but often we have found that the internet is greatly subpar. This has forced us to rely upon out AT&T 3G on our iPad or our tethered iPhone. As AT&T is not the best service around, we have often been left will glacial speeds that hamper our ability to get work done much less even send emails. Yet, the ability to send emails without being hampered by crappy WiFi is wonderful so much so that if you travel a lot, consider investing in a MiFi from Verizon.
- Entertainment: Sadly when traveling, we are far from our beloved TiVo and the excellent shows we have chosen to record. To combat bad tv, we have started downloading videos to our iPad or computer before we leave. That way we can make sure we always have entertainment even when the internet is too slow to stream Netflix.
- Back Pillow: Most hotel desks that we have worked at come with the most awful chairs known to man. To help us type longer and work more efficiently, small neck pillows seem to be the ticket. We just tuck these in the small of our back to give us the small comfort we need.
- Extra Chargers: After forgetting chargers over the years, we gave up on always trying to remember to pack ours. To combat not having power on the rode, we started leaving dedicated travel chargers in our bag. That way we do not have to remember our charger and can travel without fear.
- Laptop Lock: There is nothing we fear more than our laptop being pilfered. To prevent this we use a simple laptop lock to deter theft while we are away. The lock will not prevent the most determined thieves, but does prevent casual opportunistic theft.
- Flash Drive: We have been amazed at the number of times we have had to run to Kinkos or needed a flash drive to pass files. That is why we always have a flash drive that we leave in our bag to make sure that we never leave home without one.
What do you travel with to make sure that you can work efficiently on the road?