Name: Bell (20 months)
Location: Portland, Oregon
Bell's parents, Penelope and Nathan, are vintage shop owners and DIYers to the 10th degree, so it was no surprise to me as I peeked into little Bell's room that it was styled in a charming, loveable and unique way. Full of love and precious details, Bell's room is the happiest place in this renovated home.
Bell's mother, Penelope Miller, is a professional organizer and vintage shop keeper, and her entire home reflects these two interests. Within her daughter's room, she showcases her talents in her use of thrifted curios and purposefully organized storage ideas. Penelope's shelves made from books are one of the many darling, green and approachable DIYs within the room. Another great one is the cute banner made from vintage scrap fabric.
The details in this space are adorable, but it is the overall sense of whimsy, fun and family that make this room so special. Most of the furniture was given as a gift, found at flea market/garage sales or handmade by one of the parents. A few items were purchased at Ikea and mix into the space seamlessly, acting as a backdrop for all the fun notions, color and textures.
Were there any surprises? Good or bad?
Only that she was 16 days late so I had more time to obsess in there visualizing for her impending arrival.
What was your proudest DIY?
I put up the "book shelves" all by myself! Nothing like using a drill to feel accomplished!
Maybe it was my folk's indulgence actually! A friend of my mom's gave her the crib and they paid somebody who was already going from northern California to Portland to drop off the crib at our home!
Any advice for other people starting this process?
Honestly just go crazy with it. It is your kids room so leave all your sophisticated style for your bedroom or living room and let your inner child play around in there.
If money was no object, what would your dream source be?
Sourcing the globe! Traveling abroad and picking up trinkets and souvenirs to bring home and decorate with.
• You Are My Sunshine poster: Art.com [linked when possible]
• crib: gifted to us, but I do know it is a fancy Swedish brand if that helps at all!
• rug: gifted to us, might be Pottery Barn
• couch: Ikea
• wall to ceiling lamp: Village Merchants
• chair: Village Merchants
• harp lady lamp: San Francisco thrift shop
• dresser: antique gift from cousin
• suitcases: Little Edie's Five and Dime
• curtains: Little Edie's Five and Dime
(Images: Leela Cyd Ross)
• ROOM SUBMISSIONS Have a kid's space you'd like to share? In addition to working with some readers to feature full tours, we share the best as "My Room" posts on Ohdeedoh -- short, quick tours of great rooms. Submit yours here.