As I tried to squeeze my bulky dining room chairs around our Thanksgiving table to accommodate a gaggle of toddlers and tweens, I remembered why I always wanted a bench at the dining room table…
Optimizing horizontal space (no chair arms means more space for actual bodies) is not the only reason a bench makes practical and aesthetic sense in the dining room. For smaller rooms, a bench takes up much less vertical space; and it can be easily tucked under the table. And the combination of chairs and a bench is a surefire way to avoid a matchy-matchy look and bring a bit of eclecticism to a space. Whether farmhouse, picnic style or upholstered, I love the look of pairing a single bench with a cluster of dining room chairs.
Here are a bevy of lovely spaces that cleverly use both benches and chairs around the dining room table.
6. Hector Sanchez on Desire to Inspire via Furnnish
7. Michael & Paul's Inherited Nostalgia House Tour
8. Emily Shuman's Modern Rustic Home
9. Erin's "Cool Blue" Dining Room
10. Emily & Jacob's Poetically Photographed Home
Images: As credited above.