As I tried to squeeze my bulky dining room chairs around our Thanksgiving table to accommodate a gaggle of toddlers and tweens, I remembered why I always wanted a bench at the dining room table…Optimizing horizontal space (no chair arms means more space for actual bodies) is not the only reason a bench makes practical and aesthetic sense in the dining room. For smaller rooms, a bench takes up much less vertical space; and it can be easily tucked under the table. And the combination of chairs and a bench is a surefire way to avoid a matchy-matchy look and bring a bit of eclecticism to a space. Whether farmhouse, picnic style or upholstered, I love the look of pairing a single bench with a cluster of dining room chairs.
Here are a bevy of lovely spaces that cleverly use both benches and chairs around the dining room table.
1. Layla and Kevin's Country Coastal Cottage
2. House Beautiful
3. Bess & Peter's Brick & Timber Loft
4. Dante's Charming Spanish Flat
5. Paul's Artistic Scavenged House Tour
6. Hector Sanchez on Desire to Inspire via Furnnish
7. Michael & Paul's Inherited Nostalgia House Tour
8. Emily Shuman's Modern Rustic Home
9. Erin's "Cool Blue" Dining Room
10. Emily & Jacob's Poetically Photographed Home
11. Mix & Match Dining Rooms From Dominos Past
12. Jason & Denise's Warm and Bright Ranch
13. House of Turquoise
14. Young House Love
Images: As credited above.