For the last few months, I've had access to both a Mac and a PC. While I've been migrating my files over to my new Mac, I still use my PC most of the time. Each computer has different functions and they allow me the best of both worlds, without having to sacrifice much.
If you're wondering how to transfer files quickly over to your new laptop, then using a direct cable connection is the fastest way. Here is how we transfered over gigabytes of files
. One of the main perks of having both at home is that you never have to find compromises to get your stuff to work. For example, we ran into trouble when trying to find Microsoft OneNote equivalents on OS X
. MS OneNote is Windows
only for now. If you still have a PC at home, it's not really a problem.
We prefer the way that OS X handles Apps, maybe because it's a new way of going about things, but in comparison with the PC, it simplifies things. The new MS Office on Mac also has some improvements, including the fullscreen mode, which is excellent to use for creative writing since it allows no distractions.
Main uses for our Mac
1. Twitter Client The new Twitter client that's available for free from the Mac App store is easy to use, and its features make up for the lack of a zoom.
2. Creative Writing Although we do research with both computers, we've found that unplugging the Internet and taking the MacBook to bed is a very productive way of writing creative fiction.
3. Reading ebooks The new free Kindle app for Mac allows you to read a lot of free ebooks on it. That and a variety of PDF reference books makes the Mac the only way to do this.
4. Image Edition From Lightroom to Aperture, including the latest Photoshop, we've got them all installed on the Mac. The PC is another story.
5. Gaming While gaming has never been a strong suit of Macs, the only games that we have currently installed on our computers are on the Mac: Angry Birds and Civilization V.
Main uses for our PC
1. Internet Whether it's checking up on things on Wikipedia, or writing up facts and important details in files, our main way of navigating the Internet is the PC.
2. Email We rarely use the Mac to check our email, as the PC is the computer we consider using for most work-related tasks. The Mac is used more for leisure.
3. Watching Movies & TV Shows Most of the time, we use the 24-inch Widescreen Viewsonic display to watch movies and TV shows. The resolution if fine, and although the screen is going to be replaced this year, it's still suitable for this.
4. Uploading & Downloading Whenever we do any uploading (photos) or downloading, we use our PC, mainly because the PC serves as a hub for all of our photos and media files, since it's got a lot of storage available.
5. Media Hub Most of our current photos, music and video files are located on the PC. All of our external USB hard drives are plugged into it.
(Images: Flickr member Stéphane Soulat licensed for use under Creative Commons, Flickr member Pablo Bigatti licensed for use under Creative Commons)