Like this entry? Favorite it below!
- Lauren & Ben
- Brooklyn, NY
- Square Feet:
- What I Love About My Small Home:
- The open floor plan -- it’s both the thing we love most about our home and the biggest challenge in furnishing it. The open space is perfect for our small family. It allows us to feel connected and close, while allowing for all the functionality of a larger home. And while towing the line between cozy and minimal can be a challenge, there is a sort of liberation in not feeling obligated to fill a larger space with non-essential possessions. We’ve really embraced the idea of less = more, striving to only add pieces we love and absolutely need.
- Three of My Best Tips and Tricks for Creating a Successful Small Space:
- 1. White everywhere. Simplicity has its rewards: in addition to the clean, spacious feel white walls give you, it also presents a blank canvas for frequent edits or additions. As tempting as a brightly painted wall/room is, it can be difficult to edit when you desire change. We prefer the ease of rearranging when the mood strikes over the chore of repainting. This gives us more time to play!
2. Less, but better. As Dieter Rams posits, good design is as little design as possible. Surround yourself with essentials you love and you will be happy.
3. Go big. Small spaces needn’t prevent you from adding large pieces. In fact, these full size items serve as anchors to your home and are future-proof much more so than acquiring many small pieces meant to fit a specific layout.
See all entries