Elfa Closet System at the Container Store
One of the projects on my New Year's list involves finally organizing my messy closet. I figured others might be in the same boat, so I pulled together this list of 10 good organizational systems, from aspirational to budget-conscious. Add your recommendations in the comments below!
HIGH-END SYSTEMS ($$$)
- Molteni & C: You can expect beautiful craftsmanship, high prices, and drool-worthy custom spaces from this Italian company.
- Poliform: This is another Italian closet company that makes covetable, expensive custom systems.
- LAGO: Not sure why, but Italians seem to have the market cornered on great closet design. This is a young company, based in Milan, with a strong European presence but no US distribution yet. Their closets are a series of slick modular panels that hide everything along a wall of storage.
MID-RANGE SYSTEMS ($$)
- California Closets: They offer free in-home consultations, and closets are custom-made for your space. More expensive than an off-the-shelf system, but less than a high-end designer closet.
- Elfa at the Container Store: This mid-range Swedish system is flexible, easy to customize, and sturdy. It's a consistent favorite on Apartment Therapy for its affordability and off-the-shelf accessibility.
- Easy Closets: A semi-custom reach-in closet starts around $300 here, significantly less than California Closets.
- Astech Closet System: They only work in Manhattan and New Jersey, but they're well-known for quality customer service at an affordable price.
BUDGET SYSTEMS ($)
- ClosetMaid: These no-frills systems, which are available for under $300 at HomeDepot and Lowes, are sturdy and affordable.
- Rubbermaid: These wire-frame shelves aren't the prettiest options on the market, but they do the trick and start under $200.
- IKEA PAX: A reader favorite, the PAX system comes in several finishes and, unlike many other IKEA products, it comes with a 10-year limited warranty.
• Closet Systems: High and Low
• Wardrobe Ideas for Closetless Homes
• Freestanding Entryway and Garment Racks