In honor of spring and spring cleaning, we thought we'd start a list of good homemade cleaning ideas. Please add your own recipes and tips. With any luck this post will turn into a tremendous DIY/Natural Cleaning resource.
We'll start with a few of our own solutions as well as some we've gleaned from the comments section of other posts:
1. Sink: To clean our sink we like to make a paste of warm water and baking soda -- using the abrasive side of a sponge, stains cower before us
2. Drains: For cleaning out clogged drains: First, pour 1/2 cup of baking soda, follow with hydrogen peroxide and then cover.
3. Sink: I use hydrogen peroxide to help keep my kitchen sink extra clean and hopefully just a little more germ-free. After scrubbing it down with baking soda and rinsing, I give it a final spritz with the hydrogen p. All natural and super-cheap kitchen cleaning and disinfecting!
4. Wood: My favorite tip with lemons, combines pretty with practical. I take large glass containers and lay the full slice up against the glass. Fill with white vinegar. If you let this set, it makes the greatest smelling vinegar! Plus you have a pretty display for your counter top.
I like to mix the lemon vinegar with just a touch of olive oil to clean my woodwork. It also works great with baking soda to clean your kitchen drain! And smells heavenly!
via K8 in Maine
5. Windows: I use vinegar to clean windows, but add a drop of liquid soap (Vermont Soap Company makes a great natural version) to really help cut down the streaks. Combine 2 cups of water, 1/4 cup of white distilled vinegar, and up to 1/2 teaspoon of liquid soap or detergent in a spray bottle - that's it!
Please add your favorite cleaning recipes!
image via nazreth; sxc.hu