For Bixby's first birthday party, I wanted to keep things low-key but still special, with plenty of personal and handmade touches. We had a small family party over the Fourth of July weekend at our home.
Here are some of the details:
- Outside, I hung a handmade bunting across the front porch and tied a giant round red balloon to the railing. Indoors I strung up a mini-clothesline with a selection of Bixby's best-loved baby clothes over the mantle, and made a collage of photos from his first year in the shape of a number "one" on a wall in the entryway. For the table, I used wrapping paper as a runner, divided a basic supermarket bouquet into a tea pot and several jam jars, and hung a birthday banner nearby. We used more jam jars as glasses with old fashioned paper straws.
- We kept it simple! Chicken salad and roast beef sandwiches wrapped in wax paper, an antipasto platter, number one-shaped sugar cookies, and pink lemonade.
- A Victoria sponge cake sandwiched with strawberries, strawberry jam, and freshly whipped cream; on top I used a doily to create a pattern with powdered sugar. Yum.
The birthday boy had a wonderful time! He loved all of the attention, and he even made it through opening all of his presents before crashing.
• Giant, perfectly round balloons and old fashioned paper straws from Shop Sweet Lulu
• I picked up the mini clothespins from my local craft store, but they are also available online at Paper Source
Thanks Laura! Readers, say hello to Laura at Lolalina.
• MY PARTY ARCHIVE
• SUBMIT YOUR CHILD'S PARTY