Before anything, let's remember that being pushy and forcing children to learn to read is not necessarily a good option. As it has been shown, simple repetition works great. So pick up a book, and read to your children every day!
There are methods and books that can be used during this time to subtly reinforce the natural curiosity of a child. Here's a list of interesting approaches:
• The Four Main Methods, by Teaching Treasures: These methods include the Phonics Method, Look and Say, the Language Experience Approach, and the Context Support Method.
• Learn to Read, by StarFall. An online and interactive method.
• LeapFrog's Tag Reading System. This system lets a child use the pen to highlight a word which is then pronounced by the system. The child gets to hear and see the word. A way for kids to keep hearing words on their own.
• Learn to Read Free. Goes through the first 55 words a child learns to read. A Montessori-based method, using a mobile app and games.
• Good Reads' list of Beginner Reader Books.
(Image: Séverine Baron)