>> Modern Green Stores on Marketplace Over the past year, we've noticed that it's getting easier to find green stores that strike a balance between style and sustainability. Many green designers and retailers have embraced a modern aesthetic that's crisp, not crunchy. Here are a few of our favorites.
- Green Depot (Various Locations): Founded in 2005, Green Depot started as a small Brooklyn-based supplier of environmentally-friendly building supplies, services, and designs solutions, and has since expanded.
- Vivavi (Manhattan/Online): Vivavi features products from a wide variety of sustainable companies/designers. Josh Dorfman, the founder of both Vivavi and its online companion resource, Modern Green Living, also hosts The Lazy Environmentalist, a nationally broadcast green living show.
- Viva Terra (Online): They've got some really beautiful home products and a much more varied collection than we've seen before.
- Brook Farm General Store (Brooklyn/Online): Located just under the Williamsburg Bridge in Brooklyn, Brook Farm General Store is all about products that are useful, simple, and timeless—think wooden scrub brushes, linen blankets and table linens, ironstone pitchers, and organic hand soap.
- One Earth One Design (Seattle/Online): One Earth One Design is a three-pronged business: a retail store, an online store, and a green interior design firm.
- Re:modern (Online): Their online shop is the go-to place for eco-friendly furniture, home accessories, unique gifts, and new designs from emerging designers.
- Kir DeVries (Online): Kir DeVries is one of our new favorite go-to green gift shops. It has a little bit of everything: gardening kits, jewelry, stainless steel bottles, reusable bags, lunch totes and cutlery, stationary and more.
- By Nord (Denmark/Online): By Nord is a Danish design company offering lovely, high-quality home accessories and textiles inspired by the diversity of the "raw yet beautiful Nordic nature, where the rough and gentle meet."
- Kellygreen Home (Silver Lake/Online): Kellygreen home is the perfect spot for gathering home decor inspiration (for a green lifestyle) while introducing you to amazing finds to bring home.
- The Global Exchange Online Store (Online): At the Global Exchange Online Store, the emphasis might be on fair trade goods, but look around long enough and you'll see that most of the hand-crafted items are made from either recycled or sustainable materials.