Name: Michael & David, 2 dogs Spencer & Renee
Location: North Cleveland Park, Washington, DC
Size: 2,500 square feet
Years lived in: 2.5 years
You loved Michael Hampton's interior designs and watercolor paintings and now we're showing his North Cleveland Park house that he shares with David and their two dogs, Spencer and Renee. The older house has anachronisms that Michael and David wouldn't have chosen, but have learned to love.
After moving in, Michael and David's renovations included enlarging the kitchen and turning a small bedroom into a closet. Everything on the main floors was repaired and repainted. Michael chose neutrals and softer colors, which he always loves using in his interior design work. Most of the small accessories and artwork were collected over time and when traveling. Some of the antique furniture comes from Michael's and David's grandparents.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
Our style: Classical in a modern, livable way
Inspiration: Classical architecture and design
Favorite Element: The cozy, safe, comfortable feeling of the house
Biggest Challenge: Learning to listen to each other. There were some places we were diametrically opposed. Michael wanted a formal dining room off the kitchen and David wanted to expand the kitchen. There was no way they could both have what they wanted. We're glad we went with David's choice because we entertain casually.
What Friends Say: It's so comfortable.
Biggest Embarrassment: There is no part we're embarrassed by — we elected not to fix up certain things like the attic, which we use as an office and the basement is a catch-all space.
Proudest DIY: Working on the floor plans together and the garden. Michael learned a lot about gardening by volunteering at Dumbarton Oaks.
Biggest Indulgence: The Wolf kitchen range. We use it all the time and makes cooking so much more enjoyable.
Best advice: Never live in the house while it's being remodeled, especially if you work at home and are a couple.
Dream source: Rose Cummings' New York townhouse.
Resources of Note:
PAINT & COLORS
All Benjamin Moore
• living room - Putnam Ivory
• dining room - Beach Glass
• kitchen and halls - Barely Beige
• white trim and ceilings - 925 Ivory
• bench from John-Pierre Antiques
• table from Pottery Barn
• stools from Crate & Barrel
• mirrors are from old barn windows
• wall plaque reproductions from And Beige
• empire chandelier from eBay
• pendants from Restoration Hardware
• recessed lighting from Halo
• Mitchell Gold sofa
• coffee table and side table from Gore Dean
• red bookcase from Georgetown flea market
• 18th century cane chairs a gift from Stephen Volpe, Michael's former boss
• upholstered chairs refinished by Michael and then reupholstered
• two paintings on sidewall by Michael
• old African currency on desk bought in Sante Fe
• 18th century wall brackets from Michael's grandmother
• lamps from Georgetown antique dealer
• dining table, chairs, and drapes from Restoration Hardware
• Baker chair
• blinds from Levolor
• old engravings of rocks bought online from Christie's
• Michael Taylor bed with a custom leather upholster headboard
• bedside lamps from Restoration Hardware
• 18th century carving from a Virginia antique store
• chair from an estate sale
• desk lamp from Ruff 'n Ready
• Chinese cabinet from California
• inlaid leather desk from David's grandmother
• drawing from a DC yard sale
• winding clock designed by Dorothy Draper, from the Green Briar Hotel in Virginia and picked up at an auction
• lights from Restoration Hardware
• downstairs bath vanity from John Pierre Antiques
• little table from Michael's grandmother
• sisal rugs from IKEA throughout the house
• living room rug from Stark, a reproduction of an Oriental rug
• French 18th century looking glass bought in San Francisco
• lamps from Ruff 'n Ready
• chair frame was found; Michael painted it and had it upholstered
• side table was Michael's great-great grandmother's
• shower boxes from IKEA
• upstairs hall table from Goodwood
• photos from Bruce Lindstrom
• clock bought on eBay
• pagoda lights from Winterthur<
Thanks, Michael & David!
Images: Rachael Grad
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE Check out past house tours here
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.