Play kitchens are a popular holiday gift and usually they're "the big gift." And for good reason - they're not cheap and they take up space. But they're very often a favorite toy that kids return to again and again (sometimes daily), often for a few years. Here are twenty five to consider along with some purchasing advice.
Things to keep in mind when shopping for a play kitchen:
• You're not going to find a brand new, quality, wood play kitchen for $20 - these are an investment toy. However there is still a range of price points to choose from. (If you're lucky, you can find one used.)
• Before spending a lot of money and time (assembly, see above!), see if your child enjoys playing with play kitchens by trying them out at friends houses or at their daycare/preschool.
- Have the time and inclination to make a play kitchen? Get inspired by our DIY Play Kitchen Pinterest board.
- Need something very small for your home (or looking for something less expensive)? Check out these 15 Small Play Kitchens and Stoves.
- Kids Play Kitchen by Sprout ($135)
- Oven and Sink by Brio (sold separately, $59.95/stove, $74.95/sink)
- Picnik Duo Kitchen by Janod ($150)
- Gourmet Wood Play Kitchen by Hape ($123.40, green available)
- Neo Cooker ($120), Fridge ($130) & Sink ($120) by Wonderworld
- Enchanted Forest 3-Piece Kitchen Play Set by Teamson ($199.95)
- Pop N' Play Cardboard Kitchen by Build a Dream Playhouses ($49.95)
- Eco-Friendly Cooking Center by Wonderworld ($150)
- DUKTIG Play Kitchen by IKEA ($99, additional $20 for top hutch)
- Cook Together Kitchen by KidKraft ($159.99)
- All in One Retro Kitchen in white by Pottery Barn Kids ($339 sale price, pink available)
- French Kitchen by Hape ($116.99)
- Cook's Corner by Melissa & Doug ($129)
- Sproutz Kitchen by Jonti-Craft (pieces priced individually, each around $160-70)
- Kitchen Center by Plan Toys ($224)
- Ivy's Play Kitchen by Willow Toys ($249)
- 5-in-1 Kitchen Center by Wood Designs ($374.99)
- "Chef" Kitchen by Vilac ($184)
- Double Side Large Kitchen by Vilac ($143.90)
- Bright Kitchen by Guidecraft (sold separately, $145-180 each)
- Chic Maxi Cooker in brown by Janod ($99)
- Mademoiselle Maxi Cooker in pink by Janod ($100)
- Mademoiselle Maxi Cooker in red by Janod ($98.95)
- 5-in-1 Kitchen Center by A+ Childsupply ($248.25)
- Vintage Kitchen in white by KidKraft ($124.99, red and pink available)
Editors note: this post was originally published 12/7/2010 and has been updated and added to for 2013.
(Image credits: as linked above)