They're getting better. You really can get a night's sleep on a sofa, but some ARE better than others, and money does seem to buy you more comfort. This list represents what we've learned since our last list in 2007...
Local To NYC
• Carlyle Convertibles - Multiple experiences say these folks are the best as custom sleepers and on the expensive side.
• Avery Boardman - The most luxurious, to the trade only.
• Room & Board - These folks have worked hard on their sleeper sofa and offer two solutions: the Air Coil (like the Aero but in a sofa) and the Comfort Sleeper which is a really smart application of a foam mattress (no bars!)
• American Leather/American Upholstery - Readers swear by this company and their quality is well known.
• Crate and Barrel - For affordable pricing and solid quality, C&B gets great marks.
• Mitchell Gold & Bob Williams - These guys make the sofas for Crate and Barrel and others, so they're solid with good prices and classic styling.
• DWR - The Twighlight and the Sliding sofa continue to be favorites in the hinged foam category with youthful, mid century styling.
• Ligne Roset - Their Nomade Express is a great design for a hinged, foam design in a sexy, modern package.
• Pottery Barn
• Jennifer Convertibles
• Bo Concept