It has been too long since Apartment Therapy's last travel guide post
, so here is an updated version that doesn't just stick to the traditional paperback travel book. Whether you're planning your far away vacation or your summer stay-cation, these guides will help you get from point A to point B and find some unique haunts along the way.Practical Guides
1. Lonely Planet Encounter:
Comprehensive guides packed with where to sightsee, eat, and shop. For shorter trips 1, 2, and 3-day itineraries are also laid out in this guide.
2. City Walks:
If you love searching neighborhoods, these walks will guide you through the streets from a local's point of view.
3. Not For Tourists:
NFT guides are for locals and tourists alike.
(for those who don't have a smart phone with GPS to rely on while traveling)
Laminated and accordion folded maps that help you navigate like a native.
2. Crumpled City Map:
For the non-OCD traveler who hates folding maps.
Luxury Travel Guides
1. Taschen City Guides: Hip and stylish and sadly only available for the following cities: New York, London, Paris, and Berlin.
2. Luxe City Guides: Cities across the globe summarized and pocket sized for the jet-setter.
3. Rather Guides (formerly Eat, Shop guides): I have long been a fan of the Eat, Shop book series for local, independent finds. The Eat, Shop series recently underwent a brand change, and you can now find these books under the name Rather. Same great recommendations, just a new name.
1. Wallpaper Guides: Now available for download to your ipad and iphone, although this takes the fun out of collecting the books for their colored covers.
2. Pocket Guides: These audio guides make you feel like you have a personal tour guide in your iphone.
(Images: Claire Bock)