It has been too long since Apartment Therapy's last travel guide post, so here is an updated version that doesn't just stick to the traditional paperback travel book. Whether you're planning your far away vacation or your summer stay-cation, these guides will help you get from point A to point B and find some unique haunts along the way.
1. Lonely Planet Encounter: Comprehensive guides packed with where to sightsee, eat, and shop. For shorter trips 1, 2, and 3-day itineraries are also laid out in this guide.
2. City Walks: If you love searching neighborhoods, these walks will guide you through the streets from a local's point of view.
3. Not For Tourists: NFT guides are for locals and tourists alike.
Maps (for those who don't have a smart phone with GPS to rely on while traveling)
1. Streetwise: Laminated and accordion folded maps that help you navigate like a native.
2. Crumpled City Map: For the non-OCD traveler who hates folding maps.
Luxury Travel Guides
1. Taschen City Guides: Hip and stylish and sadly only available for the following cities: New York, London, Paris, and Berlin.
2. Luxe City Guides: Cities across the globe summarized and pocket sized for the jet-setter.
3. Rather Guides (formerly Eat, Shop guides): I have long been a fan of the Eat, Shop book series for local, independent finds. The Eat, Shop series recently underwent a brand change, and you can now find these books under the name Rather. Same great recommendations, just a new name.
1. Wallpaper Guides: Now available for download to your ipad and iphone, although this takes the fun out of collecting the books for their colored covers.
2. Pocket Guides: These audio guides make you feel like you have a personal tour guide in your iphone.
(Images: Claire Bock)