We've seen the BestLite lamp in European decorating magazines and books forever.
Designed in 1930 by the English designer Robert Dudley Best, the BestLite lamp was first used in car repair shops because of its flexibility and functionality, and then in airplane hangars during World War II. Winston Churchill even had one on the desk in his air raid shelter. Trendsetting architects were drawn to its sturdy yet elegant design, and after Architects Journal declared it to be the first Bauhaus item in the UK, it appeared in buildings designed at the time.
There is now a series of seven BestLite lamps, all with the high gloss chrome pole, the pivoting arm, and a variety of colored metal shades.