Location: Chelsea, Manhattan, New York
Size: 1400 square feet, 2 bedroom, 1.5 bath
Years Lived In: 4
Betty bought a commercial office space in a large mixed-use — but office oriented — building and turned it into both an interior design office for herself and her assistant and a comfortable home for herself and her 11 year old daughter.
Betty works and lives in the same place and yet, she has made a very successful division between work and play. Her two small offices open off the main living space and have large sliding opaque doors that can be shut at night to become visually interesting elements in and of themselves.
As an interior designer, Betty can sit at her kitchen counter, which doubles as a conference table, and use her own home as a showcase for her work. Other blurred lines between work and home life include the coffee table, which is also a flat file for drawings.
After gutting the original space, Betty knew she would have limited space to carve into two bedrooms, bathrooms, a den and a laundry room. Knowing that she and her daughter would share a bathroom and that it would be a heavily trafficked room in her home, Betty opted to apportion more space for the bathroom and less for her own bedroom.
Betty has created intimate spaces within an open plan using a mix of materials and a muted color palette. The result is very warm and cozy while practical and well thought through.
Apartment Therapy Survey
Style: Modern, efficient, comfortable, clean, custom.
Inspiration: So many things...
Favorite Element: Floating wood wall
Biggest Challenge: Storage and office and home all in one space
What Friends Say: Will you do my place?
Biggest Embarrassment: Not being techy
Proudest DIY: Installing the cork wall in my office
Biggest Indulgence: Furniture, closet interiors, rugs!
Best Advice: Over plan for storage and think it ALL thru before making one purchase.
Dream Source: Interior Design Magazine
- • Sectional sofa by B&B Italia, fabric by DONGHIA
• Custom Chair; fabric by Pierre Frey
• Pillow fabric by Pierre Frey, Bergamo, Holly Hunt
• Side table by Jens Risom
• Lamp by BBDW
• Rug by Odegard
• Bowl by Calvin Klein
- • Custom Cabinetry by Andre
• Glass Tile and stone countertop by Stone Source
• Glass doors by Manhattan Glass Co
• Vintage rug by Odegard
- • Sofa custom in Pierre Frey fabric
• Club chairs by Donghia in Fadini Borghi fabric
• Custom chalk top table, design by bettyhome
• Rug by Odegard
Images: Jill Slater
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE Check out past house tours here
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.