Since it's travel month at Apartment Therapy, I wanted to share a little bike tour I recently took around my current neighborhood, Beverly Hills, and how it inspired my design style at home. After the jump, check out the day and also 8 tips for finding decor ideas while you're traveling around town.
I biked down my little residential street and admired the landscape and backyards of the duplexes and apartments that line my street. We live south of Wilshire and there are tons of affordable small buildings. These tall yellow flowers were so stunning I had to snap a photo.
- Apartment Therapy tip: Enjoying other people's landscapes can inspire you to make your own outdoor space shine.
The famous intersection of Rodeo Drive and Wilshire is a popular stop for tourists. I like to walk or bike around my neighborhood and enjoy the people, homes and shops.
- Apartment Therapy tip: Find out your city's walk score and get out and enjoy!
I stop in at home store and window shop towards the kitchenware. I am looking for a yellow pot to match our yellow kitchen but don't see one here. I like how these are stacked on the shelves and snapped this photo to remember to try this at home.
- Apartment Therapy tip: Home stores offer ideas for storage and organization at home.
I ride further down the street and stop in at Smith & Hawken on north Beverly Drive. This shop is perfect for the urban gardener and I am inspired by the crate-turn-plant display. I want to create this in my city backyard.
- Apartment Therapy tip: Consider crates and boxes for affordable outdoor garden ideas.
I make a circle and bike back down a quieter street in Beverly Hills and pop into the Beverly Wilshire. I love walking through this famous hotel to gather some serious inspiration. The lobby display is lovely and I am enjoying the vertical style of the arrangements.
- Apartment Therapy tip: Check out hotels in your city to spot design elements that can work in your own home.
I walk by the brass elevator doors and vintage mailbox. This is the elevator used on the set of Pretty Woman. The detail is gorgeous and I consider adding more detail around my home.
- Apartment Therapy tip: Small details can make a big impact in a space.
Hopping on my bike, I travel back down towards south Beverly Drive and ride by the magazine stand, stopping to snap a photo of the stacked magazines. This is a neat look in a space.
- Apartment Therapy tip: Stacking magazines and books is an easy storage solution and adds visual appeal.
The bike ride ends at Urth Cafe with a latte outside on the patio. This cafe is built in what looks and feels like a cozy small house, equipped with a working fireplace and pretty mantle.
- Apartment Therapy tip: Decorating a mantle provides a warm vibe in your home.
Have you toured your own neighborhood? Upload your photos to the Apartment Therapy LA Flickr pool and share with us.
Check out more travel ideas from Apartment Therapy:
- Travel Inspiration: Chart Your Adventures
- 10 Tips For Taking Great Travel Photos To Frame At Home
- Global Decor Without the Travel, is it Cheating?
Images: Rebecca Orlov