Last week at my father's big cottage, the painting on the third floor was finished, wall to wall carpeting in three rooms was torn up, and the floors were sanded and sealed back to their lovely 1897 glory. Then on Saturday morning, I drove over all of the STUFF that the new house needed for the renters that I'd ordered online (toilet paper, plates, silverware, towels, etc), and our whole family pitched in as my mother's entire storage locker of furniture was delivered to furnish the house quickly. The renters arrived at 3pm, and we were all done, but it was a long day!
From nearly empty, the whole house filled up and came to life.
It was amazing. While my mother's furniture from her home in the city was a little older, darker and heavier than I would have liked, I used it to lightly furnish the rooms and it looked really nice (I thought).
That evening the renters (a lovely European family with two small boys) had friends over for dinner and stayed up late into the night in their new house (we forgot to supply any carving knives, which made cooking challenging, but not impossible). It sounded like a fine party and a great housewarming for the next century.
Over the next few months we'll be moving things around, making small improvements and filling the gaps, and I'll keep you updated. I'll also keep updating the list of sources that I'm using so that you can find stuff if you like it.
Sources (so far)