Though the mounds of fresh snow are piling up outside, spring is near and retailers are reminding us with a collection of new catalogs and emails announcing new outdoor collections of furniture and accessories. A big trend for spring? The Birdcage Aesthetic — delicate wire frame tables, chairs, and lanterns that are more modern interpretations of a Victorian birdcage...
FIRST ROW — MODERN INTERPRETATIONS
• 1 A composite of our personal favorite birdcage-inspired designs!
• 2 The collection of decorative birdcages from The Conran Shop add a modern twist with color and elaborate shapes. All are designed for votive candles and range in size and price — $66.50 - $122.50 from The Conran Shop. A collection of these, hung at varied heights could look stunning indoors too!
• 3 If candles aren't your thing, the hardwired white wash bamboo pendant lamp is $129 from CB2.
• 4 The High-Wire Act Table & Chairs from Anthropologie take the elegant Victorian scrolled wire shapes to the next level. The table is $498 and chairs are $248 in green, blue or white (chair designs differ slightly).
• 5 Ok...this one is a little out there. It's Ingo Maurer's Seven Rats Table Light. Yes, those are fake rats in a wire cage. Available from unicahome for $4,680. It's currently in the window of Ingo Maurer's SoHo showroom.
SECOND ROW — MORE TRADITIONAL OPTIONS
• 6 Flights of Fancy Bird Cage $119 from VivaTerra.
• 7 Birdcage Lamp is $139 from VivaTerra.
• 8 Really want to go all out? The Zinc Top Birdhouse by Michel Coudanne is almost 9' tall and costs $4,995 from The Conran Shop.