When Kate Strickland completed this office design project, she asked me to photograph it for her portfolio. However, I immediately felt its incredible design deserved to be showcased in a workspace tour. Kate has completely brought together the industrial warmth of a residential loft with the community feel of an office space. Bitium's employees enjoy multiple work stations, meeting rooms and lounges, and of course fresh ocean air from the coast, just blocks away.
Kate's design for this office allows beauty and organization to coexist perfectly with form and function. The big open windows, the shared office spaces, and the cool, neutral color palette are just some of the details that went into this amazing space. They're still growing to fit their new location, but Bitium is already right at home here as their company looks toward the future.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
Style Of The Space: The office is masculine, collected, personal, and organic. Its cohesion is created through consistent materiality choices throughout, including raw wood, leather, and black powder-coated steel, along with an assortment of succulents, branches, and pressed botanical prints. The collected look is achieved by mixing everything from neoclassical architectural fragments to a groovy 1970’s inspired channeled sofa. By limiting the color and material palettes and then filling the space with sentimental objects and organic materials, we feel that we created an office that feels soothing, home-y, and totally customized and original.
Inspiration: We wanted to achieve a very personalized and more high-style look that’s not ordinarily seen in a startup tech office. Along with the company founders, we wanted the sitting areas to feel like the lobby of a boutique hotel or someone’s personal sitting room. The Bitium founders asked us to incorporate muted blue, as it’s their company color, and to utilize lots of beautiful wood textures and leathers, so we started there.
Favorite Element: The custom round black powder-coated steel bookcase.
Biggest Challenge: There is one room with no windows that feels like a glorified closet. We branded it “The Project Room” to be used for “long periods of deep collaboration.” We styled it out with mirrors and cozy pillows, and the employees love to take private calls there, and they even use it to watch HBO and sports after working hours.
What Friends Say: “Dope, dude!” and “That KITCHEN!?!”
Proudest DIY: Probably the spiked “Punk” sconce that we designed and had the glass hand-blown in downtown Los Angeles. Does that count as a DIY?! If not, we also sponge-painted a $3 vase one half black and one half white in hopes of making it look like a Kelly Wearstler piece!
Biggest Indulgence: The 10’ sliding glass doors.
Advice for Organizing Tech into the Office: Wrangle cords below workstations and conference tables so they’re out of sight and as neat as possible. For a quick fix— screw wire management trays onto the underside of each workstation and use zip ties to keep them all together.
Dream Sources: JF Chen.
Resources of Note:
PAINT & COLORS
- Farrow and Ball Black Blue
RECEPTION WAITING AREA (DOWNSTAIRS):
- Lara Lounge Chair: Blueprint Furniture
- James Harrison Settee: West Elm
- Pear Coffee Table: Urban Home
- Rustic Storage Side Table: West Elm
- Draper 2 Light Table Lamp: Wayfair
- Hand Pressed Botanicals on Linen Ivory: Restoration Hardware
- Framed Cole and Son Palm Jungle Wallpaper Sample
- Kasbah Wool Rug: West Elm
- Magical Thinking Marrakech Pillow: Urban Outfitters
PROJECT ROOM (DOWNSTAIRS):
- Spiked “Punk” Sconce, custom design by West Haddon Hall
- Shaded Otis Light in Matte Black: onefortythree
- Sofa: Ikea, covered in a black cowhide rug
- Pillows: Eskayel
- Black Vintage Style Door Mirrors: World Market
- Mill Coffee Table: CB2
- Plaid Rug: Crate and Barrel, no longer sold
- Christopher Knight Home Modern Brown Petal Chair: Overstock
LAPTOP BAR (UPSTAIRS):
- Framed Nepalese patterned paper from Hammer and Spear, raw wood frame from Aaron Brothers
- Abalone Shell Mirror: Jayson Home
- Magical Thinking Woven Wall Mirror: Urban Outfitters
- Seagrass Basket: Lawson Fenning
- Three Potato Four Wooden Arrow: Urban Outfitters
- Starboard Milk Glass Flushmount Bronze Fixtures: Restoration Hardware
- Johan Side Chairs in Ash Finish with Black Leather Seat: Blueprint Furniture
- Oversized Natural Carrie Tub Basket: World Market
- Isabel Marant Shopping Bag
- Wooden Geo Planter: onefortythree
- Round black powder-coated steel bookcase, custom design by West Haddon Hall
- Channeled leather 70’s sofa: custom design by West Haddon Hall
- Douglas Fir coffee table: custom design by West Haddon Hall
- Pillows: One Kings Lane
- Marble Bookends: (wh)ORE HAuS Studios
- Francisco Stool: Jayson Home
- Toro Lounge Chairs in Night by Blu Dot
- Gray Summer Goddess Indoor-Outdoor Rugs: World Market
CASUAL MEETING ROOM (UPSTAIRS):
- Belgian Shelter Arm Sofa: Restoration Hardware
- Driftwood Coffee Table: Crate and Barrel
- Leah Area Rug: Home Decorator’s Collection
- Blake Side Table: Ballard Designs
- Glass Cloches: World Market
- Crystal Votive Holders: West Elm
- Sliding Glass Doors: The Sliding Door Company
- Table and Benches, West Elm, no longer sold. Expandable Farm Table is similar
- Mira Wool Rug: West Elm
- Pad Printed Bowls: West Elm
CONFERENCE ROOM (UPSTAIRS):
- Double Live Edge Wooden Table: Custom design by West Haddon Hall
- 1900s Hand-Carved Acanthus Roundels: Restoration Hardware
- Vases and faux floral: Moskatels
- Hide n’ Seek Storage Shelf: CB2
OPEN WORK ROOM (UPSTAIRS):
- Floating shelves in sets of 3: CB2
- Zinc Prize Ribbon: Jayson Home
- Porter Bar Cart: CB2
- Atelier Scissor Task Floor Lamp: Restoration Hardware
- XL Douglas Fir Work Tables: Custom design by West Haddon Hall
Thanks, Kate + Bitium!
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE: Check out past house tours here.
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.
Updated daily with fresh tours full of photos for you to pin & enjoy!