Air conditioners are a fact of life in Los Angeles, where 110 in the Valley is not unusual. But unless you own your own home and can put in a heating and cooling "system," the unit itself, however much your plunk down for it, is ugly. Usually, you try to keep it clean and hope for the best, putting aesthetics aside in favour of creature comfort. But there's only so long, that you can grin and bear it...
That's why, when we received our copy of the July 14th issue of New York Magazine, we had to share. While the magazine is usually ATNY's beat, sweating it out is a challenge where ever you live.
- Decorate it: Use spray mount or double-sided tape to cover the plastic portions with pretty paper. Scraps of wallpaper would work well here.
- Build around it: Have a console cabinet built to enclose it.
- Curtain it off: Veil it with a semi-sheer half (cafe) curtain.
- Hide it with a screen: Design something yourself.
- Frame it: Create a piece of art to cover it.
For the full article, click here
. We want to know, how do you hide your unit? Let us know in the comments or you can send us a picture of your creative solution.
[image via RandyR.net's Flickr, with a Creative Commons License]