Some people believe you shouldn't paint your dining room blue because it makes food less appetizing. No wonder blue dining rooms are the exception rather than the rule: Beiges, reds and whites are far more popular choices for our eating areas. But blue can be a gorgeous choice for the dining room. I say forget the color theories! And, anyway, with obesity rates like ours, maybe a little appetite suppression isn't such a bad thing! FIRST ROW
1. Benjamin Moore "Surf Blue" is fun, bright and bold in this contemporary, sleek dining room from Mint Peach; House & Home. Soft, warm blue walls give this traditional dining room an elegant, romantic look. The curtains, chairs and lighting all work to soften the potentially gloomy hue of the dusty gray paint color.
2. Erin's Cool Blue Dining Room. Here, a seafoam green-blue lends a calming, beachy atmosphere in the dining room.
3. This deep blue from Interiors By Lucyina Moodies certainly brings the drama!
4. Kelly’s Andersonville Apartment. The paint is Benjamin Moore: Majestic Blue on top and Tranquil Blue on the bottom (they're next to each other on the color card).
5. Urban Grace Interiors. I love this room with its smoky grey-blue walls and Swedish furniture. Subtle and sublime.
6. Amy’s Vintage Modern Nest This kind of blue takes guts but Amy pulls it off in her mid-century modern, light-filled dining room. For a similar color, try Blue Diamond 736, a pale blue with a hint of green from the Classic Color collection.
7. DecorPad. Another dusty blue shade that borders on gray. Perfect in this traditional dining room.
8. East #30 James' Shoreline Blue. Another bold, bright choice of blue. It works well because the room has a vintage, whimsical feel to it.
9. Ashley and Kevin’s “Kind of Blue” Dining Room. Here, one bright blue wall gives the room a real lift. Try imagining the room with all-neutral walls. Quite dull, right.
10. Decorpad. The dark blue-gray walls are just perfect in this (very) eclectic dining room. I love the orange accents combined with the velour brown retro chairs. And because the ceiling and tops of the walls are cream, the room doesn't sink into gloominess.
11. House & Home. This room may be too much for most people!
12. Martine Louise Design. The walls aren't blue in this dining room but everything else is, from the chair upholstery to the lampshades to the luscious curtains.
13. The Lennoxx. A single stripe of electric blue brings this room to life.
14. A subtle blue viaDecorpad.
15. Beach Bungalow 8 via Decorpad. Turquoise blue walls and Kelly Wearstler Imperial Trellis wallpaper.
Images: As credited above.