My partner has a physically grueling job, a labor of love so demanding that many pairs of jeans are destroyed each year. Cleaning out the closet unearthed a large pile of old jeans, ranging from Too Worn To Wear To Work to Utterly Shredded. Maybe we'll recycle them, or maybe we'll make one of these...
You probably won't be surprised to learn that searching for denim crafts yields a lot of cheesy stuff — I have the hardest time with pockets that are left intact — but these are the best of what I found..
- Denim Blue Whale: The greatest re-use of denim ever in the world, Valaan Villapaita's blue whale tutorial should be issued with ever pair of jeans sold. It is absolutely magical.
- Denim Rag Rug: I mentioned I scored a great denim rag rug from Urban Outfitters for $10, but it's nowhere near as cool as the ones Nudie Jeans is putting out. I would love to make one of those!
- Denim Patchwork Rug: Liesl Made has a tutorial for this parquet-inspired rug, which is indeed "very fresh and modern".
- Denim Quilt: I looked at a LOT of denim quilts, and didn't find one I like anywhere near as much as the (discontinued) one from Crate & Barrel that I featured in last year's Favorite Fall Fabrics: Sexy, Durable Denim. I would actually like to make all the items in that post, had I the skills. Please point us towards any cool denim quilts you might have seen!
- Denim Upholstered Chair: Mother Earth Living featured the work of Nightwood, an amazing furniture company that created this chair. If I were ever to tackle a similar project, I think I would do both the seat and the back in denim, but that's just me.
- Denim Garland: Our Little Nest Up North created this charming light-up garland for a little boy's room. I would never have thought of that and I love it!
- Denim Christmas Stocking: At least one member of our household could use a proper Chanumas stocking, and this one by PoohBang is exactly the rugged-manly-timeless sort of pretty that I love. If I made one, I'd definitely have to make one for everyone. Especially me.
- Denim Curtains by Julie Floersch for Madewell, via Creative Fuel: Yeah, in my dreams.
(Images: as credited above.)