Name: Blythe Barger & her dog Wookie
Location: West Hollywood — Los Angeles, CA
Size: Blythe didn't know, but I'd say no bigger than 800 square feet
Years lived in: 5 1/2 years — own
Blythe has one of those amazing homes that looks straight out of the Amalfi Coast, complete with arched doorways, striped awnings and luscious greenery everywhere. This charming and tiny bungalow style home is filled with artwork, original tile and rich colorful textures.
Blythe believes that the most essential part of designing a home is cultivating "comfort and a little bit of drama". Crammed with collected souvenirs and artwork from her travels throughout her life, every nook and cranny of this home is filled with memories and sentimental charm. The home is reminiscent of something you'd see in some colonial coastal town off the shore of Italy or France, but it's Los Angeles that has inspired its character — "Its very inspiring! And also anything goes in LA, so you can be free to do what you like and make up your own rules."
My favorite element was the tiny breakfast nook right outside of her back door that opens up to a shady backyard of plants and flowers. Such a lovely little oasis in the midst of a busy town.
Many thanks to Wendy Withers for introducing me to Blythe!
Apartment Therapy Survey:
My Style: Eclectic. I would hate for my home to look like a catalog page. I like the patina of old things and love being surrounded by items that are meaningful to me.
Inspiration: Paris apartment meets beach house
Favorite Element: The vines that cover the house's exterior.
The house poses a few design challenges-
1. The rooms are pretty small.
2. The layout of my office and my bedroom.
3. The front door opens right in to the living room, so trying to create a sense of an entryway.
What Friends Say: That my house is a reflection of me.
Biggest Embarrassment: My closets need an overhaul.
Proudest DIY: Small details can make a big difference...I hated the ceiling lamp in my dining room until I replaced the bulbs and now I love it. I found these old turquoise glass door pulls for my linen closet and they make me happy every day.
Biggest Indulgence: Art (collection includes Tom Sachs, Sage Vaughn, Julian Schnabel, Peter Beard, Hope Atherton, Relja Penezic, Jill Greenberg, Leo Fitzpatrick, Cobra Snake)
Best Advice: Bathrooms should be white.
Dream Sources: Marche aux Puces in Paris, Merci in Paris for linen sheets and towels, Summer House in Mill Valley, ABC Carpet and Home in NY, Rose Bowl Flea Market in Pasadena.
Resources of Note:
PAINT & COLORS
• couch from Mid Century Modern Furniture at Galerie Sommerlath, Venice
• vintage Eames chair from my parents
• rug from Istanbul
• table and benches from Cisco Home
• table cloth from India purchased in Australia
• old silver from Paris flea market
• Bacarat champagne flutes from auction
• John Robshaw table linens
• my bedspread I had made from a hand embroidered Mexican textile
(Images: Bethany Nauert)
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE: Check out past house tours here.
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.