Bohemian decor evokes travel, poetry, books, eclecticism, art, and wanderlust. It's forgiving, warm, and always inviting—qualities that are especially welcome in the bedroom. Here are some ideas to steal if you want to create a boho retreat of your own.
1. Don't be afraid to mix and match textiles. All the variety works together because it deliberately isn't matchy-matchy. If you're worried about cohesion, chances are that textiles you're drawn to have enough in common to tie them together.
2. You really don't have to reupholster that thrifted find. Work with a dated piece and embrace it like Melissa and Brian did with their chair by coordinating their lamp and pillow with its unusual color. Old furniture will look purposeful and totally in-place when it's treated like it belongs. Also—a reading nook in the bedroom? Perfect.
3. Drape lace and fringe from the ceiling for a dreamy diaphanous canopy over the bed. YES.
4. Add a large gilt frame mirror for instant weight and Old World appeal.
5. Jewel tones plus hanging lights equal an instant serenely boho vibe.
6. Add drama with ruffles, fur, and florals. Caroline combines animalistic furs with oversized ruffled pillows in woodland colors and then offsets the browns with pink florals, creating not only a bohemian feel, but a subtle tension between strong and demure that can be particularly electric in the bedroom.
7. You can be minimal and still embrace bohemian style. As Erin and Nathan demonstrate in their richly-hued room, you don't have to have layer upon layer of textiles and rugs to achieve the look. Here, the crisp white walls and restrained decor let the incredible bedding do all the talking.
8. Hang some plants. They're graceful and artsy and add a living element to a style that gets much of its appeal from a sense of flowing and freedom.
9. Hang some string lights for the ultimate romantic bohemian bedroom ambiance.
10. Hang a rug or weaving on the wall for a headboard. This adds warmth, texture, and pattern in an unexpected way—a delightful bohemian twist.