Name: Brandy Adams
Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Size: 4,000 square feet
Years lived in: 4.5 years
Brandy owns MAKE + MODEL, an online store that sells furniture and decorative accessories. In the “shoppe” section of her website, you have four choices: Mid-Century Modern, Palm Springs Chic, Hollywood Regency, or Global Style. Her home encompasses all of these styles with the deft hand of a true aficionado. Each room, nook, landing, and corner is a vignette unto itself, blending together in a style that is all Brandy.
Born of disco-loving, cocktail-party-throwing parents, Brandy gets a lot of her color inspiration and sense of whimsy from the '70s. The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree; Brandy loves to throw a good party. And her home is the perfect setting.
Her home sits on a small lake, on a dead end street, in a quiet Nashville neighborhood. Looking out the windows at this beautiful setting would be décor enough, but not for Brandy. Her sense of style and panache takes it up several notches. From Juju hats, to vintage airline ads, to so many amazing credenzas and tables that you lose count, all are expertly styled and eye catching. But don’t blink; Brandy regularly changes out her accessories (and sometimes furniture) as inspiration hits.
If you’re lucky enough to live in Nashville, you might get the chance to see visit in person. MAKE + MODEL regularly hosts a Pop-Up Shoppe in her home. You should go not only to buy some fabulous home décor; you should go for the fluffernutters. (What are fluffernutters? Brandy explains below.)
Apartment Therapy Survey:
My Style: A combination of clean lines and sophisticated glamour accompanied by global elements and the occasional quirky piece to keep from being “too serious” (because what is the fun in that?!).
Inspiration: Other cultures, fashion, nature, designers from the past and present (Billy Baldwin, Dorothy Draper, Kelly Wearstler, Ryan Korban, Emily Henderson, Mary McDonald to name a few)
Favorite Element: Element in my home: the living/lake room. The view, the vibe… it just begs for you to relax in your caftan while drinking a Martini. Element in design in general: Art/sculpture — I’m totally into finding really unique pieces of art in particular sculpture to personalize your space
Biggest Challenge: Knowing when to say when. Because I love so many styles, it’s easy to go too much in one direction. Finding the perfect balance and combination of pieces to keep a room feeling fresh and intriguing versus contrived is a skill that I’m constantly honing.
What Friends Say: Some of the nicest things I’ve ever been told: “Your house makes me want to go home and change everything,” “I love coming to your house because it’s constantly evolving and there is always something new to see and learn about.”
Biggest Embarrassment: I think that occurred many years ago. Now I don’t really get embarrassed. I embrace my quirkiness. One of my favorite quotes: “I have absolutely no desire to fit in.”
Proudest DIY: I’m not much of a DIY girl. I can design in my head all day long but when it comes to the actual hands on part, I’m hands off.
Biggest Indulgence: Fluffernutters. All of my loyal Pop-Up Shoppe customers know exactly what I’m talking about. I give them out as favors at every event: Peanut Butter Marshmallow Crème Ritz Cracker Sandwiches dipped in Chocolate… need I say more!
Best Advice: “If you love it, buy it!”
Dream Sources: 1stdibs (mostly for “dreaming” and research), One Kings Lane, Chairish, Anthropologie, ABC Carpet & Home, Flea Markets, Auctions and Estate Sales
Resources of Note:
PAINT & COLORS
Benjamin Moore: Simply White all throughout the house except and Den. Sherwin Williams: Agreeable Gray Den
- Hotel Sign: Antique Mall
- Peacock Chair: MAKE + MODE
- Gold Bust Garden Stool (Homegoods - Three Hands Corp)
- Stairwell wallpaper: discontinued print by York
- Stairwell mirror: LaBarge
- Chinoiserie mirror: vintage MAKE + MODEL
- Furniture and Lighting: Vintage (MAKE + MODEL)
- Rug: Zebra Pottery Barn
- Juju Hat: MAKE + MODEL
- Table – Goat Parchment by Enrique Marcez circa 1970s 1stdibs.com
- Other furniture: Etagere, chairs, barstools, barware – vintage MAKE + MODEL
- Chandelier: Arteriors Home
- Cheetah Print Hide: MAKE + MODEL
- Bed: Restoration Hardware
- Other Furniture: nightstands, black Asian dresser, Lucite coffee table, Murano glass lamps, etc…: vintage MAKE + MODEL
- Euro Shams: Natori Geisha and Samurai
- Bedding – West Elm and Roberta Freymann
- Lighted Sign – Homegoods
- Lighting: IKEA
- Owl Vase: Homegoods
- Artwork: originals
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE: Check out past house tours here.
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.
Updated daily with fresh tours full of photos for you to pin & enjoy!