Name: Brendan Ravenhill, Marjory Garrison, and 2 roommates
Location: Echo Park — Los Angeles, California
Size: 1,300 square feet
Years lived in: 1 — rented
Furniture and product designer, Brendan Ravenhill, and his wife, Marjory Garrison, left most of their belongings behind on the East Coast when they set off for Los Angeles, where they planned to stay only 3 months. Over a year later, they still haven't said goodbye to the gorgeous views from the Echo Park apartment where they live and work in a state of charming minimalism born from their transient circumstances.
The space lacks embellishment, giving a loft-like feel to the small, open common area — decorated with a variety of colorful prototypes for Brendan's elegant and utilitarian lamps. "The apartment is home to three people who live and work there," Brendan says. "As a result we try to keep the common spaces uncluttered and inviting. I personally try to be sure that my projects don't spill over into shared space too often." While the couple hopes to retrieve their possessions from storage at some point, the dearth of stuff has the advantageous effect of giving dramatic views of Los Angeles and breathtaking sunsets center stage.
Visit Brendan Ravenhill's website to see more of his work.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
Our Style: Circumstantially minimal (all our stuff is still in Providence, Rhode Island)
Inspiration: The working beauty of barns and boats — objects that strike the perfect balance between form, material, and function.
Favorite Element: The view from our deck
Biggest Challenge: There aren't a lot of windows.
Proudest DIY: My re-purposed Eames chair base coffee table
Best Advice: Honesty of materials
Resources of Note:
- • 3x5 lamp (Brendan Ravenhill)
• IKEA locker cabinet
• Eames shell chairs
• Vintage couch
• Hex Floor Lamp, (Brendan Ravenhill)
• Jib arm lamp prototype (Brendan Ravenhill)
• Eames Coffee table hack (Brendan Ravenhill)
- • Vintage post-war table and chairs
- • Cord lamps (Brendan Ravenhill)
• DIY bed frame from salvaged wood I-beams
• Prints from Tiny Showcase
- • Cord lamp prototypes
• Salvaged cabinet standing desk
• LA Buca Stool prototype (Brendan Ravenhill)
• Friso table prototype (Brendan Ravenhill)
• Pentagon Facet Lamp (Brendan Ravenhill)
• Eames Shell Chair
• Aluminum Surgeon's desk (Army surplus)
• Hex desk Lamp (Brendan Ravenhill)
MORE BRENDAN RAVENHILL ON APARTMENT THERAPY:
• Cool Bedside Lighting: Cord Lamps by Brendan Ravenhill
• Facet Lamps by Brendan Ravenhill
Thanks, Brendan & Marjory!
Images: Sarah Rainwater
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE Check out past house tours here
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.