Like this entry? Favorite it below!
- Washington, DC
- Square Feet:
- What I Love About My Small Home:
- I really love that my house ('Minim House') contains everything I need to live fully, without feeling compromised or cluttered. I can have a dinner party for 8, take an overnight guest on the 8' couch, cook in a highly functional 10' galley kitchen (with space for the KitchenAid, food dehydrator, bread maker, 60 quart jars of dried food, etc), keep a guitar and a full size keyboard (under the folding desktop), have movie night with friends on the pull down projection screen, keep plenty of clothes and equipment in a 5' closet, and have plenty of shelf space for a bar, 200 books, sewing machine, etc. I also love that the house is almost entirely off-grid, with PV panels on the roof for power and an integrated rainwater catchment and 3 stage filtration system for potable water. And it's great that if I needed to, I can move it anywhere- it's on a trailer bed.
- Three of My Best Tips and Tricks for Creating a Successful Small Space:
- 1) A marine table system may be raised / lowered / swiveled in 4 floor sockets to function as kitchen island/bar, second desk, coffee table, dining table, or a bedside table. For dining, the Cubista stool from Resource Furniture unpacks from 1 stool to 5.
2) Eliminate all walls, all closed cabinets and lofts at eye level, and maximize window space.
3) Hide bed under the work platform, which allows for desk area and a full size closet space above it. When partially pulled out and locked, the bed also provides additional seating for 3 (in addition to the 8' sofa).
See all entries