You keep track of your calendar, family, friends and finances online in the cloud. Why not your home? BrightNest is a recent startup that's gaining attention as the "Mint.com for home maintenance," letting you keep track of your home inventory, paint colors, scheduled maintenance and everything in between, all in one place. Once you sign up for a free acount at BrightNest.com
, you'll have access to a bevy of features that will help even the most laid-back homeowner stay on top of their most valuable asset:
• Browse lists of home tips, then add them to a checklist.
• Store key home details, like paint colors and the size of your air filter, in one place in your personal "homefolio."
• Browse and store a library of product manuals.
• Schedule home maintenance to-do's, or use BrightNest's built-in lists, and set reminder alerts to keep you on track.
We're impressed by the shiny simplicity and all-in-one functionality of BrightNest, but if it's not your thing, here are a few other home maintenance and inventory resources:
• Retail website Lowes.com recently rolled out mylowes, a service that lets you log in and save home info like paint colors and product manuals, plus set alerts for regular home maintenance.
• Compartments for Mac is a well-organized application that helps you make and keep up a home inventory (plus model numbers, manuals, and warranty info) easily with form-style input.
• HomeSpot offers one place online to store appliance manuals, paint colors, and part numbers so you don't have to hunt them down later. You can also set reminders for home tasks and projects.
How do you keep track of your maintenance and repairs? Have another suggestion for our readers? Share it in the comments!