Name: Bronwyn Burnett
Location: Nob Hill; San Francisco, California
Size: 546 square feet
Years lived in: 12 years; Rented
Blogger Bronwyn Burnett has created a bright and calm space to contrast the bustling street scene just outside her doorstep in San Francisco's touristy Nob Hill neighborhood. Having lived there for more than 12 years, her space reflects her background as an artist, and her love for DIY and estate sales. And if you recall her house call post from last year, you'll see that her home is always changing.
During her Apartment Therapy photo shoot, she changed her living room's layout several times, saying she does this regularly anytime she gets new ideas or when she entertains friends. She says her friends prefer hanging out in her small studio apartment over their huge homes in nearby neighborhoods (she had just thrown a party the night before the photo shoot, but there was no sign of it).
Living in a tight space, Bronwyn says organization is key. “I have a wall of closets which is so important for keeping me organized,” she said in her house call post. “Be yourself, buy less and refine.” This is the best advice she has for others with small spaces, and it is obvious that she has created a comfortable living space doing just that.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
My Style: Subtle sophisticated
Inspiration: Honesty, Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers dancing, MARCH (the store), San Francisco, Turkish style, Kairos and history.
Favorite Element: My 1950s safari chairs and the tall, beamed ceiling.
Biggest Challenge: Lamp installation in the living room
What Friends Say: My friends are enthusiastic about the transformation of my kitchen.
Biggest Embarrassment: My window treatments are a little too long and I have never done anything about it. Don’t observe.
Proudest DIY: I painted my kitchen cabinets myself!
Biggest Indulgence: Maya Romanoff wool in bathroom.
Best Advice: Be yourself, buy less. Refine. Read, travel and educate yourself about others and who you want to be. Stay open, readjust often.
Dream Sources: Cappellini, James Perse, Autoban, Eileen Gray, Talisman, Hermes. And I love Estate sales.
Resources of Note:
PAINT & COLORS
- Clark and Kensington: Admiral Blue on lower kitchen cabinets
- Designers white on doors, walls, and cabinets
- Hanging rack: from MARCH
- Mirror: Mediterranean clay molded frame
- Painting: Antique phone painted by me
- Chandelier: Plaster of Paris, handmade by me
- Paintings: City scape view from my roof, abstract, and feather-all painted by me.
- Coffee table: Yellow lacquered cement
- Safari chairs: 1950’s estate sale chairs.
- Throw pillow: Kelly Wearstler embroidered pillow
- Side Table: Vintage singer sewing machine flip-up table.
- Turkish throw: Erica Tanov
- Dining Chairs: West Elm overlapping squares chairs
- Mirror: Vintage nautical mirror
- Tea cup: Roberto Cavalli
- Rug: Dark gray wool knit Scandinavian rug – limited edition
- Tea: Marco Polo by Mariage Freres
- French Press: Bodum Eileen gold French press
- Chair: Rattan vintage 1960’s chair with lamb throw
- Paintings: Self-portrait and blue porcelain vase by me
- Vase: Heath ceramics single stem vase
- Scissors: Dos Plumas gold scissors
- Bedspread: H&M linen bedding
- Side table: Design Within Reach Tablo Table
- Lamp: Vintage side lamp with ridge for mints
- Throw: Cashmere throw by Compagnia Italiana
- Curtains: Restoration Hardware linen
- Shower curtain: Restoration Hardware light blue linen
- Wall wainscoting: Maya Romanoff wool wallpaper
- Shampoo/conditioner: Aesop
- Trash can: Marble
- Olive oil hand soap: Savon Liquide Compagne de Provence
- Turkish Towel: Erica Tanov
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE: Check out past house tours here.
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.
Updated daily with fresh tours full of photos for you to pin & enjoy!