Who's chilly? Winter has blown into town, my friends, and it's getting brutal. If you've suddenly found yourself hearing scary words like "arctic" or "vortex" being thrown around, make sure you have these winter essentials on hand. No excuses — they're all under 30 smackers.
1. Boot Tray —This simple, straightforward idea is key to containing the sludge, sand and water that would otherwise be soaking into your carpet. Make a commitment to immediately lose those boots when you walk in order to keep the outside outside this winter. Also try a cookie sheet! Rubber Boot Tray from Ballard Designs, $28
2. Humidifier — Cabin fever isn't the only thing making you feel itchy. Dry winter heat can leave your skin cracked, your sinuses damaged and your hair full of static. Running a humidifier in your bedroom at night will help you wake ready to face another winter day. 10 Hour Ultrasonic Humidifier from Target, $29.99
3. Throw blanket — A classic. You can't seriously face a winter movie night on the sofa without a big, cozy throw handy. Cuddle central. Faux Mohair Oversized Throw at Pottery Barn, $29.99
4. Draft snake — Your grandma was onto something. Place this stuffed tube at the bottom of doors or windows to keep drafts out and heat in. It's a simple design that can have a big impact on both the temperature of your room and the contents of your wallet once those heating bills arrive. Bonus: Have a long sock or an old nylon? DIY that thing! Door Draft Stopper from Sew Home Decor, $12.95
5. Snow shovel — Sure, it's not the most glamorous purchase, but when the snow starts falling, having the right tools will save you precious time doing chores in the bitter cold and keep your walk or deck from turning into a skating rink for the rest of the season. Worth it! Ames Arctic Blast 18in Snow Shovel from Ace, $25.99