A few years ago, we took a peek inside the German 25 Hours hotel, a hip budget chain that had some good ideas for decorating on the cheap. At the time, they had only two locations: one in Frankfurt and one in Hamburg. They've since expanded, opening new hotels in Frankfurt, Hamburg, and Wein, with a Zurich outpost scheduled for 2012.
Throughout all their locations, they've maintained their trendy but budget-conscious style. Interior design schemes mix modern furnishings with lots of color and pattern. We spotted several ideas for upgrading your space without spending a lot:
- If you've got an oddly shaped wall, consider playing it up with wallpaper or a bright accent color.
- Stuck with wood paneling? Give it a 'mod cottage' look by painting it white. You can even take the look a step further by adding a white barnwood table.
- Oversized industrial pendant lamps look great in multiples, and they're not difficult to locate on the cheap at places like IKEA and industrial supply stores.
- Accessorize with flea market finds, like vintage task lamps, old musical instruments, or leather luggage.
- Use contrast to create a clean-lined but edgy look. For instance, black trim can make a white room feel more tailored.
MORE INFORMATION: 25 Hours Hotels
Photos: 25 Hours Hotels