Like this entry? Favorite it below!
- Caitlin and Joe
- Philadelphia, PA
- Square Feet:
- What I Love About My Small Home:
- We love our classic Philadelphia home, a two-story row house called a workingman’s house, with its 21” wide staircase and oven that requires nonstandard cookie sheets. Its petite proportions are ours alone and inspire sewing and painting projects, small-scale game nights, and creativity in a quiet home office. It fits everything we need right now and leaves just enough room for improvements (which we enthusiastically tackle on the weekends, thanks to an accommodating landlord).
- Three of My Best Tips and Tricks for Creating a Successful Small Space:
- 1. Put everything you want in a space and then take away a few things. And then maybe one more.
2. Think about how you are going to use a space. Skip a couch in favor of two or three chairs if it means that your guests can face each other when speaking or playing a board game instead of sitting all lined up in a row.
3. In an entryway that is part of your living space, anticipate and plan for mess. A junk mail basket beside the front door can avoid a pile of clutter on the first clean surface you see. A simple open shoe rack for only the most recently worn shoes, with space for guests’ footwear, can ensure an uncluttered floor.
See all entries