Name: Caleb (12)
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
From: "Big Kid" Room To: Tween Room
Caleb's bedroom was perfect for him...until he outgrew it. His room was lovingly decorated with dragons but his interests were changing and as he inched closer and closer to becoming a teenager it was time to grow up his room as well. Caleb's mom Brandi reworked his room into something more mature that better reflected her son's changing tastes.
What was this space before the transition?
My son's room used to be perfect for the dragon lover he once was. He had dragon curtains, dragon artwork, and even a stuffed one on the curtain rod! However, as he grew older, he spent less and less time in his dragon cave.
What prompted you to change this space?
On his 11th birthday, he said the dragons had to go! So I made plans to make his room over completely.
Tell us about the new space:
Re-doing my son's room was more emotional than expected because I realized he won't be my little baby anymore. Donating his old stuff and painting over the things he's had since he was a small child made me tear up, but I know it's for the better. He needed a more mature room. It took me almost a year to finish his room, but I decided to take my time decorating and put together a room I knew my son would love.
Include your child throughout the design process. Allow them to help with simple projects. They will appreciate their new room even more and keep it cleaner.
- Bedding: Land of Nod and Target for his sheets
- Curtain: Land of Nod, finial too
- Decorative Pillows: Land of Nod, Etsy
- Light Bulb Lamp: PB Teen
- Decorative Pulls: Chinese Brass Hardware
- Decorative Pull: Hobby Lobby
- Wood Frames: IKEA
- Artwork: Etsy, Antique Market
- Laser Cut Paper Art: Kate's Paperie inspired by this post
- Chalk holder: Ebay inspired by this post
- Jute Rug: Rugs Usa
- Banana Fiber Stool: IKEA
- Decorative Tree Plate: West Elm
- Chevron Pillow: West Elm
- Wood Colored Pencils: Marshalls
- Globe: Thrifted
- Turtle: Hobby Lobby
- Small Silver Clock: Pottery Barn
- Candle: Target
- Natural Fiber Basket: Thrifted
- Wall Color: Martha Stewart's Winter's Day matched to Behr paint
Thanks Brandi! Readers, you can see more of Caleb's old room and new room on Don't Disturb This Groove
(Images: Don't Disturb This Groove)