My apartment was built in 1915. With that antique construction date comes a ton of positive side effects for any design lover, as well as one negative one: beautiful architectural details that don't always translate well into efficient, modern living. My bedroom's fake fireplace is the perfect example of both.
While I sometimes curse the "wasted space" that could fit a tiny couch or bigger clothing rack, it's become a little decorative area in a room full of strategic function. As of right now, the only occupants of this valuable plot of bedroom real estate are an IKEA mirror I've had since I was 13 (yes, as in 12 beautiful years together), some stubby candles, assorted accessories and a beloved little plant. I like the function of a mirror and the pride that comes from not killing a plant, but I'm open to pretty much anything.
So I've turned to some of my favorite shopping resources for some stand out, under-$100 finds. Now all I need is a little guidance...
My kitchen table, chairs and the mirror hanging over my bed were all sourced from the marketplace, so why not try to score again?
- Tree Ring Art Print, $35.
- Art Deco Cobalt-Etched Mirror, $60.
- Brass Incense Holder, $35.
- Vintage White Planter, $15.
- Dip-Dyed Candleholder Set, $78.
- Gold Mantle Clock, $40.
I've held onto that mirror for 12+ years for a reason: you can't beat IKEA'S prices, especially when the items last this (surprisingly) long.
- Black STAVE Mirror, $29.99.
- IKEA PS 2017 Candlestick, $12.99.
- SJÄLSLIGT Decorations, $14.99.
- TVILLING Posters,, $10.
- BELEVAD Candle Dish, $5.99.
I worked at Target for seven glorious years while in school, so I'll probably bleed red and khaki forever. Here's what stood out for me from the ole bullseye.
- Round Brass Mirror, $47.49.
- Oh Joy! YAY Vase Set, $28.49.
- Threshold Tassel Garland, $12.99.
- Oh Joy! Ceramic Cloud Tray, $16.99.
- Oh Joy! Colorblock Votive Holders, $6.99.
While the sale rack is my main stomping ground for clothing, the little home goods section of Urban Outfitters usually has great finds.
- Triangle Mirror Set, $39.
- Small Concrete Candle, $14.
- Half-Moon Planter, $14.
- Blush Glass Catch-All Tray, $20.
- Acrylic Frame, $12.
So from one design lover to hundreds of thousands of others: which picks did you like the best? What should I get to refresh my look? Let me know!