Location: South Carthay, Los Angeles, California
Size: 1,100 square feet
Years lived in: 2 years; Rented
Candace's French Deco style apartment, originally built in the 1920's, is filled with characterful touches — big windows inviting a lot of natural light, beautiful hardwood floors, a spacious layout, and moldings and finishings that were done by artists on holiday from working on set in the movie studios. There's so much history in this brightly lit home.
Candace chose to go with charming mid-century modern pieces and accents that she collected over the years to really create a warm and inviting space. The fireplace is a great centerpiece, beautifully decorated with West Elm accessories, candles, and a large mirror. Another piece to admire is the tulip table, which is situated by the large living room windows and provides a lovely place to sit and enjoy a morning coffee. Thanks, Candace, for sharing your beautiful home!
Apartment Therapy Survey:
My Style: The apartment has a Californian style with a mixture of mid-century modern, bohemian and traditional elements.
Inspiration: Traveling, the west coast, and the many design blogs I follow.
Favorite Element: I love how bright the apartment is. It has many windows and natural light. There is also this maple tree right outside one of the living room windows that filters the afternoon light beautifully.
Biggest Challenge: Budget!! It is hard to find all the perfect and affordable elements to fill the two-bedroom space.
What Friends Say: The apartment building was built in the 1920’s, and everyone comments on the character and charm of the apartment.
Biggest Embarrassment: The lack of artwork. This is directly related to my “biggest challenge”. Finding affordable artwork is a challenge in itself, but I have artwork commitment issues.
Proudest DIY: The painting above my bed.
Biggest Indulgence: I would have to say the coffee table.
Best Advice: Take your time in finding pieces for your place. Fall in love with the things that you surround yourself with. My home is a work in progress and I want it to reflect my travels, experiences, and how I am evolving.
Dream Sources: Herman Miller, 1st Dibs, ABC Carpet and Home, Design Within Reach
Resources of Note:
- Office desk - IKEA
- Pillow - IKEA
- Office accessories: West Elm
- Office chair - Blueprint Furniture
- Blanket: Pendleton
- Couch: CB2
- Coffee Table: Blueprint Furniture - Sojourn Coffee Table
- Lamp by tulip table: IKEA
- Lamp to right of the couch: Nate Berkus for Target
- Nesting tables: Pottery Barn
- Rug: World Market
- Tulip table: IKEA
- Prints: West Elms
- Dining table: Thrift store
- Chairs: Vintage
- Shelving unit: Pottery Barn
- Painting above bed: DIY
- Kilim pillow: Flea Market
- White dresser: IKEA
- Bedside table: Vintage
- Bathroom towels: Nate Berkus for Target
- Fireplace mirror: Restoration Hardware
- Fireplace chair: Blueprint Furnitre
- Fireplace coral - Moab Rock Shop
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE: Check out past house tours here.
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.
Follow Apartment Therapy's board House Tours Apartment Therapy on Pinterest.
Updated daily with fresh tours full of photos for you to pin & enjoy!
(Image credits: Breanne Johnsen; Michael Alan Hoy)