So you just plunked down a small fortune for a new couch or a great upholstered chair. Some tips to keep your new couch from turning into your...well, your old couch, after the jump...
- Vacuum it weekly. This is what those attachments on your vacuum are for.
- Flip the cushions monthly. We also take our cushions outside and hit them with our hand to loosen any dirt the vacuum may have missed.
- Keep eating in the living room to a minimum; avoid if possible. Even the neatest among us occasionally spill.
- Have a plan of attack. Like clothing, furniture has care labels. Read it. If something does happen, have a remedy at the ready along with a clean white cloth. Use any cleaner sparingly, patting and blotting. And always test it first in an inconspicuous place to make sure it won't discolour the fabric.
- Aways have a back-up plan. In some cases, you may be better off calling in a professional cleaner or taking the cushion covers to the dry cleaner. We suggest taking them all in at once so that any fading is even.
[Image via Living Etc.]