- Dayton, WY
- Square Feet:
- What I Love About My Small Home:
- We love how it draws us in and shelters us. There is room for gathering and conversation, and there are places for seclusion and solitude. The great room includes our kitchen with its simple painted cabinets and open barnwood shelves, our dining area with its banquette tucked beneath a window, and the living area with its full size sofa, vintage chairs, and floor-to-ceiling bookcases. Subtle architectural details and lighting define each area within this main room. The master bedroom is a place for seclusion and reprieve just down the hall. And for our three boys? A bunk-room loft reached by a ship's ladder stair! We love how the many windows open the house to natural light, and how the singular palette of painted board walls and ceilings throughout provides a backdrop of serenity and a canvas for creativity. We love all these things about our house, yes...but most of all we love that our home is paid in full!
- Biggest Challenge of Living in a Small Space
- With two adults and three children living fully in such a small space, a mindful editing of posessions was necessary, with only the most useful and well loved things making the cut! With forethought and planning, I was able to design a home around our posessions, our tastes, our personalities, and our needs. Careful consideration was given to the function of each space and how it could hold what we would need, and fulfill the 'living' required of it. The result is a home that fits us well and speaks of who we are.
- If I am the Grand Prize winner of Small Cool, the item(s) or project(s) from my home design wishlist that I'd like to spend my winnings on are:
- We have visions of building a covered porch along the entire front side of our house, effectively blurring the line between indoors and out while adding character and useable three-season space.