Caroline Lizarraga, her son Sebastian and their pug Brunello.
Location: Western Addition; San Francisco, CA
Size: 1,100 square feet
Years lived in: 3 years
Caroline's expertise as an artist and designer is realized not only through her clients' spaces, but also in her own home. She has curated a collection of treasures in her two bedroom flat that celebrate the people, places and things she loves most. As owner of her interior design company she has an incredible eye, but her true craft is working with her hands. Caroline paints spectacular wall murals, one of which is showcased on the walls around the fireplace in her living room.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
My Style: Eclectic bohemian
Inspiration: I am a treasure hunter, the search is as important as the piece. Everything has a story, and the story is my inspiration
Favorite Element: In terms of the architecture of my flat, I adore all the moldings and high ceilings. We also love having such a big deck. In terms of my favorite design piece, Higgins, my white taxidermy peacock still holds my favorite position.
Biggest Challenge: My son’s room. With all the little toys, books, and trinkets, space is a challenge.
What Friends Say: They always say they feel like they have been transported from San Francisco; sometimes it’s Paris, sometimes New Orleans.
Biggest Embarrassment: We are too casual here to be embarrassed.
Proudest DIY: My stenciled, antiqued fireplace.
Biggest Indulgence: All my art.
Best Advice: Find something you love and build the room around that. That way it reflects who you are.
Dream Sources: My friend Alia has a store called Lunaria and she specializes in lighting. My favorites are that I am pining for Tom Kirk and Vesoi. I am so inspired by fabric so I am always dreaming of anything from Manuel Canovas, Casamance, and Designers Guild. Last but not least, I was just in Paris and I fell in love with the artist Jean-Luc Moerman. His work is breathtaking.
Resources of Note:
PAINT & COLORS
- Living Room, Bedroom, Kitchen: Ben Moore 981 Winds Breath
- Entry: Ben Moore White Dove
- Drapes: Ikea
- Small Painting: Enzia Farrell
- Mirrors and art: Flea market
- Triptych: By artist Lucky Rapp, sold at Robollo
- Chairs: Cisco, fabric Osborne and Little
- Sofa: Cisco
- Fireplace mirror: Roost
- Painting on mantel: Kelly Tunstall
- Art over Tv: Christopher Jernberg, Mitch Jones
- Chairs and Table: Flea market
- Lamps: Plantation
- Painting over console: Aondrea Maynard
- Color in the room: I made up
- White peacock: lovely present from my boyfriend
- Cabinet color: Ben Moore White Dove
- Island: Jewelry table picked up at flea
- Bed: Crate and Barrel
- Bedding: Anthropolgie
- Everything else: flea market
(Images: Lindsay Tella)
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE: Check out past house tours here.
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.