Name: Carrie Miller Kerwin
Occupation: Interior Designer with Massucco Warner Miller Interior Design
Location: San Anselmo, California
Size: 1,100 square feet
Years lived in: 5 — owned
Carrie's bungalow may be a mere 1,100 square feet, but it feels palatial. Her style is refined, yet playful —mirroring her own personality. An interior designer by trade, Carrie's home is edited to perfection which in turn makes each room feel spacious and grand. The objects in her home have been collected thoughtfully over time which gives her home a graceful confidence.
Globetrotting at an early age shaped Carrie's passion for collecting antiques and her appreciation for design. Much of her art has been found while flea marketing and antiquing but her carefully chosen framing gives them a grandiose air. She loves to mix French antiques with mid-century modern furniture giving her home a fresh yet classic vibe. She adds a little shimmer and fur for a glamorous twist.
Carrie resides in the bungalow with her husband and beloved pug, Ellie "Cutes" Kerwin. Ellie adores being the center of attention and during the photo shoot it became clear who was the real princess of this pretty petite palace.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
My Style: I like to mix vintage and new, high and low, and combine fabrics and furniture styles that create playful contrasts. I also love incorporating a lot of texture and layering in lots of softness so that rooms are comfortable yet elegant. I can't say that my style has a particular name, but "40's glamour meets natural modern" might be a good try!
Inspiration: 1940's Hollywood bungalow
Favorite Element: Huge Palm tree in front yard
Biggest Challenge: With such a small house, storage is limited and things have to be well thought out. The small size also forces me to focus on the house as a whole so that the rooms flow. While I've owned bigger homes in the past, I now prefer the coziness and even the challenges of smaller spaces — if something comes in, something has to go out. It keeps possessions to a well-edited minimum and makes life that much saner and simpler, in my opinion!
What Friends Say: They like the vintage pieces and the accessorizing and I often hear, "Your house feels good!"
Biggest Embarrassment: I don't have great window treatments on some of the windows — I'm saving up!
Proudest DIY: I like to paint furniture and I hang my own light fixtures.
Biggest Indulgence: A period Louis XVI gilt settee covered in Schumacher metallic silver linen.
Best Advice: Don't be afraid to let rooms grow over time! Good rooms evolve and change as you come across great flea market finds and artwork. Interesting accessories and collections of objects assembled over time really add personality and character to a room.
Dream Sources: Paris flea market
Resources of Note:
PAINT & COLORS
• All rooms (except master bedroom) are Benjamin Moore, Ivory Tusk
• Master bedroom is Benjamin Moore, #1067
• Vintage Console: Flea Market
• Vintage Venetian Mirror: Prize
• Sofa: Shabby Chic
• Chinese Painted Screen hung on wall: San Mateo Antique Store
• Silver Tray Table: West Elm
• Vintage Black & White Chairs: Antiques and Art Exchange
• Desk & Lacquer Mirror: Ironies
• Vintage Starburst Mirror: Homme
• Chevron Wool Carpet: Stark Carpets
• Antique French Settee in nook: Schumacher Shimmer Linen, #2644120
• Leather Poufs: Taxi Designs
• White Lacquer Side Tables: Sarlo
• Kitchen Table: West Elm
• Chairs: Pottery Barn
• Woven Blinds: Conrad #1716 Chosen
• 1940's Framed Artwork: Double Vision (in LA)
• White Duvet: Bloomingdale's
• Big Pillows: Lee Jofa teal linen fabric, "Grasses", reversed
• Floral Pillow: Trina Turk
• White Furry Pillow: West Elm
• 1930's Japanese Block Prints: Past Perfect
• Daybed: West Elm
• White Oak Dresser: Custom made/designed
• Vintage Postcard Assemblage Artwork: Alameda Flea Market
• Vintage Painting above dresser: Joel Mathieson Fine Art (in NYC)
• Blue butterfly chairs: Sunrise Home, San Rafael
• Striped Pillows: West Elm
• Whale Pillow: Anthropologie
• Teak Outdoor Table: Custom Designed
• Bleached Horns: Sienna, Petaluma
• White Lanterns: Williams-Sonoma
• Ceramic Stools: Sunrise Home, San Rafael
• Woven Stacked Cushions: Yard Sale
Images: Rebecca Dadson
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE Check out past house tours here
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.