Name: Carrie Livingston, Interior Designer and Founder of Generous, a non-profit organization to improve the lives of autistic individuals and their families
Location: Los Angeles, California
Size: 1,250 square feet
Years lived in: 10 Years, complete redesign in 2010
Carrie's home makes you feel like you are in the lobby in one of the trendiest boutique hotels. Her style reflects modern art and culture from around the world — she collects furnishings when she travels to cities such as London, Paris, and Moscow. The pure white walls and floors allow her incredible art and statement furniture to take center stage.
Carrie doesn't just feature art she has collected over the years; gifts from friends from different areas and different stages of her life mean a lot to her. Being surrounded by these personal treasures inspires her and makes her feel at home.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
My Style: I don't like to define my style because it is constantly evolving and ever-changing. I love to travel and collect things from around the world, with a particular love of art. I like to think that the pieces that I collect and design will tell a story about the things I love, the places I have been and the people I choose to surround myself with: lovely, beautiful things that inspire me every day. I love white walls and keeping things simple, clean and comfortable, which allows me to focus on the pieces and art that I have found in the process.
Inspiration: NYC loft meets LA sleek. I have used lots of polished, lacquered surfaces, rich textiles and beautiful accent colors combined with accessories that I have collected from travels in the hope of creating something special in every room that you enter.
Favorite Element: Too hard to choose one thing in particular. Each element comes hand picked from travels, or one of my favorite shops, or more importantly has been given to me as a gift.
Biggest Challenge: I have always enjoyed collecting unique and beautiful things, but I often have to remind myself that with a limited amount of space I can't have every piece I fall in love with. Living with only the things that I truly need is my biggest challenge, as well as being able to take things out so that I can make room for new things that I find.
What Friends Say: They can't believe how clean and organized I keep it. Then they laugh as they read the sign at the door that says "No shoes please." Of course, I always keep a basket of slippers at the door to make them feel at home and to keep their toes warm.
Proudest DIY: Taking a piece of furniture and transforming it into something new, allowing a room to take on a new form. One of my favorite DIYs was a table that I had got at Teak Warehouse. I sprayed it with white lacquer and added a glass top.
Biggest Indulgence: Having white gloss floors, which equals high maintenance.
Best Advice: Design your home for yourself, not for someone else. You're the one who comes home to it every day and it should be a reflection of you.
Dream Sources: The stores on Melrose Avenue and Robertson Blvd. in Los Angeles, 20 First Vintage and Modern in Palm Springs, Ralph Lauren Home, Paris Flea Market and Alfie's Antique Market in London.
Resources of Note:
- Stop Me Clock - Sarah Baley
- Shelf - Bronze sculpture by John Harris, 2001
- Balloon dog - Jeff Koons
- Dining chairs - 20 first Vintage & Modern, Palm Springs
- Dining table - Teak Warehouse, sprayed with white lacquer and a glass top added by Carrie Livingston
- Tree basket - Coco company
- Artwork - Poolside Gossip by Slim Aarons
- Lamp - Nathan Turner, 1stdibs
- Barstools - 20 first Vintage & Modern, Palm Springs
- Doll in box - Haruki Murakami. Plexi box designed by Carrie Livingston
- Gold bar - Maison 24, Bridge Hampton Long Island
- Lucite Tray on table - Designed by Carrie Livingston
- Tray filled with own custom gems designed by Carrie Livingston, Lucite jewelry design
- Matches from Arty Dandy in Paris
- Keep Calm and carry on paperweight found in London
- Signed book on table - Signed by Peter Beard when I met him painting at his NYC studio (my maiden name is Carrie Perkins)
- Sofa - 20 first Vintage & Modern, Palm Springs
- Coffee table (glass & wood) - 20 first Vintage & Modern, Palm Springs
- Pillows - Nathan Turner
- Throw - Holiday gift from my college roommate
- Silver Lamp - Ralph Lauren Home
- White lamp - 20 first Vintage & Modern, Palm Springs
- Armchair - Lucite and White leather designed by Carrie Livingston
- 2 wood trays - Hermes Backgammon Game, Leather & Wood, given as a gift for 30th birthday
- Black tray - Armani home
- China set - Royal Copenhagen - Blue flowers 1985
- 2 net chairs - 20 first Vintage & Modern, Palm Springs
- Bead necklace light - Mint shop
- Black coffee table - Made by Carrie Livingston. Block is wood with black lacquer finish. Tray is black lacquer with a silver mirror inlay.
- Giant sunglasses - Jason Alper
- Fire accessories - JF Chen
- Fireplace - Original Building Design
- Paneled mirrors - Lindsays Glass & Mirror in LA
- Bed - Vintage Bed Frame from Baker Furniture. Used to belong to father-in-law and I gave it a fresh new look by painting it in high gloss black
- Bed linens - Ralph Lauren Home
- Roll cushion - Fabric by John Robshaw textiles
- End tables - Vintage End Tables from Baker Furniture. Used to belong to father-in-law and I gave it a fresh new look by painting it in high gloss black
- Lamps - From Wisteria
- Lamp shades - Custom Made
- Artwork - Rey Gost 2011
- Bed - Ralph Lauren Home
- Bedding - Ralph Lauren Home
- End tables - West Elm
- Lamps - Tizio Table Light by Artemide
- Lucite Trays - Custom design by Carrie Livingston
- Painting (left of bed) - Arty Dandy, Paris. Russian artist, pencil on paper
- Painting of Carrie - friend took this image and changed it into pop art at poparted.com
- Pillows - Nathan Turner
- Bench - 20 first Vintage & Modern, Palm Springs
- Rug - Ikea
- Sideboard (below TV) - 20 first Vintage & Modern, Palm Springs, painted white
- Shelves - West Elm
- 3 plants on shelves - Roman Sacke, My favorite florist in LA
- David Lachapelle book - signed and given to me after a photo shoot
- Mini Lucite chair on shelves - Mini version of my first chair designed for my furniture line collection
- Chair - 20 first Vintage & Modern, Palm Springs
- Table - West Elm
- 3 works of art on wall - Rey Gost 2011
- Sink - Duravit
- Taps - Kohler
- Backsplash - Caesarstone Top
- Bathroom Cabinets - Ikea
- Tray - Lucite Tray created by Carrie Livingston
- Mirror - Ikea
- LOVE - Robert Indiana
- Light - YLighting
- Diamonds - Downtown at Two's Company in LA, I bought 50 of them and they are in various places around my home
- Gold shells - St.Barths, I spray painted them gold
- Naked artwork - Rey Gost 2009
- Towels - Missoni
- Tiles - Waterworks
- Shower head - Kohler
- Shower screen - Lindsays Glass, Los Angeles
- Orchids - Roman Sacke florals
CHILL OUT SPACE
(Images: Dale Berman)
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE: Check out past house tours here.
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.