- 8/27 — Submission Forms open.
- 9/8 — Selected entries will begin to be posted. Readers may respond by choosing their favorite entries. Readers may mark as many entries as they like as favorites during this period. Readers may mark each entry as a favorite only once.
- 9/22 —Submission form will close and no entries will be accepted after 18:00:00 ET.
- 10/3 — The initial round of selecting favorites will close at 12:00:00 (noon) ET. Reader favorite feedback on the National entries will be tallied and the 5 entries receiving the most favorite votes will be submitted to our Judges Panel for review. Each Judge will review the top 5 entries for each division and the entry which receives the highest Judges Panel score in each size division will be named the division finalist and will move on to the final reader vote where the grand prize winner will be determined. An International winner will also be determined at this time through the same Judges Panel process.
- 10/7 — The final round featuring the 4 color palette division finalists will be open for voting.
- 10/8 — Voting in the final round will cease at at 15:00:00 ET and a Grand Prize Winner will be determined and announced.
- We're collecting entries from August 27 through September 22, 2014. Submission forms will close and no entries will be accepted after 18:00:00 ET on September 22. No late submissions will be accepted.
- Selected entries will be posted beginning September 8. Readers may respond by choosing their favorite entries. Readers may mark as many entries as they like as favorites during this period. Readers may mark each entry as a favorite only once. This initial round of selecting favorites will conclude on October 3 at 12:00:00 (noon) ET.
- The top 5 entries in each division (as determined by reader favorite votes) will be submitted to our Judges Panel for review. Each Judge will review the 5 top entries for each division and the entry which receives the highest Judges Panel score in each color palette division will be named the division finalist. We will announce the 4 finalists (one from each National color palette division) on October 7. An International winner will also be determined at this time through the same Judges Panel process.
- The top 4 color palette division finalists will then compete in a final round to determine the National grand prize winner. Votes will be collected through 15:00:00 ET on October 8.
- A National grand prize winner (the entry receiving the greatest number of votes during the final round) will be announced on October 8.
- Read the U.S. Rules or the International Rules for more information.
- Each Entrant must submit 5 photographs of a single colorful room. The room must be in a home in which Entrant currently lives (whether owned, rented or sublet) and need not have been designed by Entrant.
- Readers age 18 and up are invited to enter the contest and share their home. Due to legal limitations, only U.S. residents are eligible to win the National contest prizes. International readers are invited to submit entries for exhibition on the site but are not eligible to win the National contest prizes.
- Once submitted, no contest entry may be changed, altered or enhanced.
- One entry per household. Only one Apartment Therapy user account per person.
- Submissions for the 2014 Room for Color Contest will be accepted beginning 8/27. The deadline for submitting an entry form for the contest is 9/22.
- Submissions consist of 5 photos of your colorful room. Please do not submit photos that include people or watermarks as part of your entry. Please consult the Official Rules for complete submission guidelines.
- Make sure you complete all the required fields on the contest entry form.
- National prizes: The 4 Division Finalists will each receive: a $200 Sherwin-Williams gift card and a $1000 gift card from Fab.com. The Grand Prize Winner will receive an additional $1000 gift card from Fab.com.
- The International favorite will receive a signed book by Apartment Therapy's founder Maxwell Ryan.
Frequently Asked Questions
When are submissions due for 2014 Room for Color Contest?
All entries are due by 9/22/14 by 18:00:00 ET.
When are entries posted on Apartment Therapy?
Selected entries will be posted beginning 9/8.
I received confirmation that you received my entry, why wasn't my entry posted?
Our system does not automatically post entries as they are submitted. Our team selects the best entries to post. Not all submissions may be posted due to space limitations and it is up to Apartment Therapy to post the strongest submissions.
How are finalists/winners chosen?
National division finalists and the International favorite are chosen through a reader favoriting process followed by a Judges Panel vote and then a final reader vote will determine the National grand prize winner.
My home was previously featured on Apartment Therapy — am I still eligible to enter the 2014 Room for Color Contest?
Yes, readers previously shared their homes with the community are eligible.
I am getting the 'Too many users at this IP have voted for/favorited this' error message when I try to vote. I am voting from a shared computer network (e.g., a workplace or school) - what can I do to make sure my vote is recorded?
We limit the number of votes that are recorded from a single IP address to prevent attempts at voting multiple times by a single person, which is disallowed by our rules, against the spirit of the contest and, unfortunately, common. It is difficult for us to verify the rare case where many votes from the same IP address are legitimate. To ensure your vote gets counted, we recommend you sign in from a computer on a different network (for example, at home) to vote.
Still have questions?
If you need help or have more questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Warm - A room that features a dominant warm color palette, such as reds, pinks, oranges, yellows, rust or magenta.
Cool - A room that features a dominant cool color palette, such as blues, greens, purples, silver or turquoise.
Light - A room that features a dominant light color palette, such as whites, pastels, light grays, cream or taupe.
Dark - A room that features a dominant dark color palette, such as blacks, charcoal, plum, navy, hunter green or chocolate.